Foreign names

By Etaoin Shrdlu, in 'Other Languages', Oct 9, 2017.

1. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    We require from newsreaders and the like a certain level of intellegence and articulacy. Obviously they can't be expected to know all languages, but it's possible to learn the basic phonetics of the most common in an afternoon, and in any case there's the internet and sites like Forvo where things can be checked. I have just heard someone on Radio 5 pronounce the name of Wolfgang Schäuble as, roughly, 'Wolfgang (with an English W) Shubble'. Where is Aurifex to rant when you need him?
  2. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    I don't want to imagine a native English speaker attempting to pronounce Polish names.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  3. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    Ah yes, good ol' Wolfie Shrubbles.
  4. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    When people who have been gone for a while come back to the forum, they must have tons of notifications from people tagging them like this.
  5. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I really hope Aurifex does return. I liked his commentary on the modern world.

Regarding "foreign" names, I have twice heard English language choirs singing for the intercession of "Saint Colmseal" [written as they mispronounced it]. A free Smartie to whoever figures out which Irish saint that was supposed to be.
  6. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Me too.