Tattoo "Forgive Yourself"

By Anebel Mack, in 'English to Latin Translation', Mar 19, 2017.

1. Anebel Mack New Member

Hello, love the board. I love the latin language so much so that I would like to get a phrase as a tattoo... but I'm afraid that I won't get it right.... what I would like is "Forgive yourself for your life not being like you thought"
    OR "forgive yourself"

Any help would be so greatful
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Ignosce tibi quod non ea vita tua est quam putaras.

The bit corresponding to "forgive yourself" is ignosce tibi.
  3. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Why pluperfect for putaras?

Also, now I'm wondering if the OP intended 1) "for your life not being what you thought it was" (you were mistaken all along about how it was at that same time) or 2) "for your life not being (now) what you thought (at some previous time) it would be".
  4. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Cicero (but pretty much no other author) seems to use that tense, mainly in his letters:
    magister adest citius quam putaramus.

in ista ipsa αἱρέσει metuo ne plus nervorum sit quam ego putaram si modo eam tu probas.

quorum reliquiae multo meliores sunt quam putaram.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Is there a rationale for it that you can see? It seems rather random.
  6. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I don't know. I remember seeing mention of it in a grammar book, but I don't think it gave any explanation, it just said that Cicero was the first to use that construction.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I took it as the latter.
  8. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Me too.
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I guess it's the phrasing that came most naturally to me because Cicero is the author I've read most of lately. Well, that seems likely at any rate.
  10. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Anyway, I think it's fine, since Cicero's grammar usages seem to be the basis for most prose composition books and the like (and he seems to be by far the most cited author in grammar books such as A+G).
  11. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, yes, Cicero, in spite of his occasional anacolutha, is usually considered the model for Latin prose par excellence.
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    So did I at first, but I'd like Anebel to confirm either way, just in case.
  13. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Either way, I don't think it would change the translation, which is elliptical like the English.