Founding Our Holy Church

By Kava, in 'English to Latin Translation', Oct 15, 2019.

1. Kava New Member

Hi there! Building a kind of vatican-esque church for an RP I'm working on, and I'm currently writing the foundational document, but it needs a name.

Something that translates along the lines of the thread title. With that said, if there's something that has the same general meaning but sounds better, you're welcome to toy with it a little.

Thanks!
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hi,

I think de fundanda sancta nostra ecclesia would work well as the title of such a document.
    Kava and Bitmap like this.
  3. Terry S. scurra

• Quaestor
    Interesting. Why didn't you put sancta nostra ecclesia in the genitive?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    That would work after fundatione, but not fundanda, which is a gerundive in agreement with ecclesia, not a noun.
    Bitmap and Terry S. like this.
  5. Terry S. scurra

• Quaestor
    Brilliant - as always. Thanks. I'll try to look out for more instances of that.
  6. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris

Is this part of this sentence similar?

Homerus fuit multis annis ante *Romam conditam*.

I was thinking about that too, Terry.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes and no, I suppose. It's similar in that both are prepositional phrases with a noun and an adjectival form of a verb, but dissimilar in that it has a perfect participle while my translation has a gerundive, two forms of very different meanings.
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  8. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks.
  9. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it's similar if you think about it from an English point of view because all the constructions would naturally be translated as 'the foundation of ...'
    Latin (at least classical Latin) just doesn't usually express such ideas in as nominal a style as English does (although it theoretically could).