Francesco Principis Qvod Mortale Erat

By mobreau78, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jan 24, 2019.

1. mobreau78 New Member

Hello everyone.

I hope you would be as kind as to help. I work in historic conservation, therefore I work on some quite interesting buildings around the country (I am in the U.K) We are currently working on a project and I would really love to know the translation above these doors. My Latin is literally non existent. I can but translate a few words and I if try to use a translating tool I get a very confused literal translation.

If anybody would be as kind as to help me out it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve

"Francesco Principis Qvod Mortale Erat
    Hoc In Spevlcro Deponi Volvit
    Vidva MĹ’rens Lucia Regina
    Vale Desideratissime! Hic Demvm Conqviescam Tecvm
    Tecvm In Christo Consvrcam"
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I'm unsure about the names and titles as I don't know who this is referring to and the words principis and regina can refer to a variety of titles. The overall meaning is this:

"The mortal part of prince Francesco was laid down in this grave according to the wishes of his grieving widow, princess Lucia. Farewell, my most missed one! I will eventually rest here with you, and rise with you in Christ."

"Francesco" could be Anglicized as "Francis", but the form Francesco in the Latin looks like an Italian form used as indeclinable. The correct Latin here would be Francisci. "Lucia" could be Anglicized as "Lucy", but I don't know her nationality.

Princeps, while it gave us the English word "prince", can mean pretty much anything from a king to much lower ranks of the nobilty, maybe even a baron, I guess. Regina usually means "queen" but can also be used of women of lower ranks of the nobility.

I searched Google for some time for key words like "prince Francis", "prince Francesco", "queen Lucy", "princess Lucia" and such but couldn't find anything. I'm not going to spend the day on it!

PS: I have moved the thread to the right subforum ("Latin to English Translation" rather than "English to Latin Translation").
    Last edited by Pacifica, Jan 24, 2019
  3. mobreau78 New Member

Dear Pacifica,

Thank you for your excellent response. That is incredibly helpful. In fact, I have to be completely honest with you. I originally wanted to post a picture of the said epitaph but due to constrictions of where I work I cannot share photographs or info in the public domain. There is no Francesco or Lucinda. It is the resting place of a certain english monarch and her much beloved husband. I think that should be enough info to glean who it is

Again, many thanks Pacifica

Regards,

Steve
    Pacifica likes this.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Ah, I thought that if it was the tomb of a well-known person, a Google search for a line of the text would return something, yet it did not when I tried. I now searched for a different line, though, and that returned a result which confirmed the answer I had in mind for your riddle.
  5. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Hi Steve, out of curiosity, where did you find this inscription?
  6. mobreau78 New Member

Hi Rothbard, the inscription is actually above the bronze doors on a mausoleum.
  7. David Fields New Member

Is the last line actually: Tecvm in Christo Consvrgam?--with a "g"