free your mind

By Julie, in 'English to Latin Translation', Dec 25, 2018.

1. Julie New Member

Hi,

I'm getting a tattoo next week which I want to say "free your mind" in latin, and I need it to be correct. I've heard different prases.. Liberate mentes vestras, if ur adressing multiple people, and libra mente tua, says google translate, and it has a verified by translate community button behind. Is either right? Would be so grateful if multiple would confirm :)
  2. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    for singular, I believe mentem tuam libera should suffice ; liberate mentes vestras is grammatically correct for plural version
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Or libera mentem tuam for singular, to keep the same word order.
  4. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Confirm.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Let's specify for Julie that both word orders are technically correct, word order being more flexible in Latin. So if she happens to have a preference, she can choose either mentem tuam libera/mentes vestras liberate or libera mentem tuam/liberate mentes vestras.
  6. Julie New Member

Thankyou so much
  7. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Another nice option is to use expedio

From L&S:

ex-pĕdĭo, īvi or ĭi, ītum, 4: orig., to free the feet, i. e. from a snare; hence, in gen., to extricate, disengage, let loose, set free, liberate any thing entangled, involved (class.; esp. freq. in the trop. signif.; syn.: extrico, enodo, enucleo, explico, expono, interpretor, etc.).

The "your" can be understood.

Expedi mentem.

Or use the subjunctive for a milder effect:

Expedias mentem.

And you might like to use animus as "the rational soul."

Expedias animum.