Gah, the "alveolar trill" is driving me mad

By Nikolaos, in 'Pronunciation, Spelling and Listen to Latin', Jan 29, 2011.

1. Quintilianus Member

Thanks for your replies.
    I didn't mean a real guttural vibration but kind of a incidental sensation in the back of the palate (so a little like a french r, before I started searching for the alveolar trill if someone had asked me I would have told him the french R was in the palate, the back of the palate, it's only by searching for the alveolar trill that I've read the french R is actually in the throat, when I thought of the throat it was way back down for me, I guess I have terrible feelings there).
    I'll just try to do it again and again, I'm giving me till the end of this year after that I'll just reduce my practising.
    I guess I have some psychological blocking, cause I'm pretty sure I've never done it even as child imitating machine guns, I've never done that.
  2. Imperfacundus Dictator

The only vibrations I feel are up front where the tongue is doing the trilling. Comment essayez-vous de le faire?
  3. Quintilianus Member

I blow and lift the tongue up.
    It sometimes produce kind of a trill, but it has to be voiced and it doesn't even last one second. If I put more air flow, then I fall back on a guttural sound, but the sound isn't the same with the tongue lift up or not, it can somehow make it vibrate and I thought that perhaps by working this way I'd get eventually to a nice and proper trill.
  4. Quintilianus Member

At least the trilled R isn't driving crazy only those who can't do it.

There is still some justice left in this world. :D
  5. Quintilianus Member

I've realised these last days that I can do a trill but... with a high-pitched voice, otherwise (voiceless or with a lower voice) I just can't seem to get the right air flow with enough strength, either I go back to a guttural trill if I try to use much strength or else (with an air flow that doesn't make a guttural r) my tongue doesn't vibrate (except for less than one second with voice and I'm pretty sure I'll go nowhere starting from this point because that's already several months I can do this without making any progress)
    If anyone here has an explanation of the reason why it's possible for me with an high-pitched voice I'd be very much grateful (something to do with the diaphragm ?)
  6. Claof New Member

I can trill an R just fine, until I try to put it into a word. I know Latin uses trilled R's.

Any tips for putting a trill into a word?
  7. Imperfacundus Dictator

Well, maybe practice adding a vowel before- ar, or, etc. Next step would be to add on another consonant. See if that works.
  8. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

Merged threads
  9. Godmy A Monkey

Also the short "r" (not geminated) might have as well been just a flap like in Spanish or in non-emphatic positions also in many (or most) Slavic languages. That is, the same kind of touch that you do with your tongue to trill well, but just 1 touch, no repetition. The "rr", though, would have mostly certainly been a trill.
  10. Quintilianus Member

I thought the flapped r was not the same as just a trill with one repetition.

By the way, for those of you who can roll naturally, how the hell do you do a rolled "r" after an "l" ? One year ago when I started wondering about this sound I didn't even know it was not with the back of the mouth, now I can more or less roll but it takes me time and is not at all light and natural, but how you roll it just after an "l" I can't even begin to imagine, because the tongue is already up and to trill you're supposed to make that happen after blowing. For example "Walras", I've tried a few times and I'm not able to pronounce it, maybe I should work more this way, the more tricky it is to me now the more it will perhaps make me understand what is wrong with my (hardly)trilling "Rs".
  11. Godmy A Monkey

Well, it differs solely in the parts where the tongue transitions between individual repetitions, otherwise it's the same (since the 'trill' is often used in such languages as mine for emphasis and emphasis is usually nothing else but prolonging phonetically = which means here more repetitions).

No problem, but usually they are parts of two separate syllables. The only word I thought about at the moment is how we in Czech pronounce "Balrog" (=just like you would in Latin properly) where it is bal-rog. I can't think of a word atm where lr would be in one syllable.

Exactly what I just mentioned. you pronounce "wal" and then "ras"... I can't see obviously what the problem is (in the attachment I'll post a recording how I would pronounce with the Czech phonology which would be the same in this case as the Latin one, granted that "w" is pronounced as a labiodental fricative)), but if I ponder about how I do it: well, the tongue simply goes back forward and on its way it does the flap or trill. In the attachment I'll post both with "rather flap" and then with a trill.

(I think that trying to trill it too much, I shifted the accent, but ... w/e :D)

Attached Files:

Quintilianus likes this.
  12. Quintilianus Member

Well, exactly what I can't do :D Or (very) hardly

Thanks for your recording. You seem to be pronouncing a vowel between the two syllables.
    But interesting you say it goes forward, the "l" then is more in the back.
    I'll work on it anyway. I've kind of sworn to myself that I wouldn't stop trying for this, I let down too many things before.

For the Balrog, I didn't know you had those ancient demons in your country, you won't see me there. :D Though I'd be interested in some truesilver if ever you got some.
  13. Godmy A Monkey

No problem :)

It's rather that "l" and "r" are both semi-vocalic in having some middle vowel (schwa like) inside them in such environments. (that's also how I can have such words in Czech as vlk or brk...)

^Work, work! :)

<- I just thought about the Lord of the Rings :p