' Gaudete, Christus est natus' - the Steeleye Span recording

By Ealdboc Aethelheall, in 'Pronunciation, Spelling and Listen to Latin', Aug 12, 2013.

1. Ealdboc Aethelheall Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The wonderfully English pronunciation of Latin by Steeleye Span - with a fully diphtongised
    ē. :)
    George Arnold, Iordanus and Godmy like this.
  2. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I gladly imitate this one on Latin parties to demonstrate an English pronunciation of Latin :p

The aspirated/sibiliated "t" (and other stop consonants), the "us" said as schwa (Krrist-s esth naat-s), English "r" and the long vowels (long "e") made as diphtongs. :)
    Ealdboc Aethelheall likes this.
  3. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    The crucial word being an English pronunciation.
  4. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Surely
    I also know very good English speakers of Latin who use some of the international pronunciations, as the restituted, and do it well...

I think this is what a traditional English pronunciation of Latin would be like?
    Last edited by Godmy, Aug 12, 2013
  5. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I also forgot to write that as a song I really like this version of the carol by its sound :) It is... just an original interpretation and it sounds well. The pronunciation there is just as exotic spice.

Same as I like most of the Latin songs by Enya even though she uses a kind of hybrid restituted/ecclesiastic/traditional pronunciation and not being very consistent in anything.
  6. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    This is my most favourite version of the song (ecclesiastical pron.):

lex dura, George Arnold and Iordanus like this.
  7. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    It depends on what period your "traditional" encompasses, whether you mean English Catholic or English Protestant, and ultimately on what percentage of the total number of persons regularly speaking Latin would need to speak what you term the traditional English way for it to be permissible to describe this as the traditional English way. FWIW, none of my teachers spoke Latin quite like Steeleye Span sing it.
    Godmy likes this.
  8. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Hm... I see.

Maybe a traditional in the point which converted many Latin words to English and made those today seen phonetic changes in them (apart from the loan words from medieval French).
  9. Iordanus Active Member

Our Latin teachers aren't very consistent about their pronunciation, and sometimes they could be pretty lazy about it, but they won't go to that "Gau-dayyyy-tttayyyy" like Steeleye Span... :p
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I must say I'm finding that "gaudaytay" funny, but maybe it's really dificult for an English speaker not to diphtonguize it - if not up to that point, at least a bit -, is it? English is such a diphtongful language...
  11. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    It isn't hard not to pronounce it as a diphthong. What can be difficult is realizing that we aren't pronouncing a pure vowel in the first place. Once this is established, it isn't hard to remedy.

That Y sound is tricky, though.
  12. Ealdboc Aethelheall Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It is also worth noting that in both the /aυ/ and the /eɪ/ diphtongs the starting point of the singers is more open than in the 'standard' English that dominates in academia and is spoken by many newsreaders and presenters on the BBC.
  13. lex dura New Member

The British pop act Erasure also recorded a version of this song. The accent is clearly English, but less strong than in Steeleye Span's version:

There are also remixes available that are suitable for the dance floor, which is exceedingly rare for Latin-language songs.

A nice example: the "DJ Yiannis Benedicat Domino Mix":

14. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Wow, Gaudete from Erasure... that's incredible :p

Interesting!

With the other one I'm getting:
    Video unavailable

This video is not available.

//Revisiting a thread from 6 years ago
  15. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris

lex dura and Godmy like this.
  16. lex dura New Member

Thank you Pacifica! I have been DJing quite a bit in my life but those songs are entirely new to me...