Gender and non-reflexive possession

By Rogan, in 'Latin Beginners', Aug 12, 2012.

1. Rogan New Member

Is there a compact way of fully expressing gender in non-reflexive possession? For example, the
    sentence "She loves her book" could be translated as "eius librum amas" but, of course, isn't
    completely specific as to gender. "ea eius librum amas" gets the subject to be female but still leaves the possessor
    of the book genderless. So, is there a compact way of getting the second gender in there? (I realise
    that such a sentence ultimately relies on context to make things entirely meaningful but the English sentence
    even without context can convey the notion of two specific genders with brevity).
  2. Rogan New Member

I meant "amat" of course. It's been a long day.
  3. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    No, because all the possessive pronouns in the genitive case are uniform and genderless.
  4. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Consul
    eius viri, eius feminae is the closest I can think of.
  5. Rogan New Member

Thanks for the replies, especially for the suggestion from Nikolaos.
  6. scrabulista Praetor

• Praetor
    Do you mean she loves her own book? She loves her (some other woman's/girl's) book?
    The former would be Ea amat suum librum.
  7. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Or a completely different construction with the objective genitive: "eius libri amatrix"

But I don't like it too much because it almost implies that it's a permanent state of the woman to be an amatrix (and amans would serve better, which, however, is unisex)... and suus, a, um is just more natural here ;)

Edit:
    Or experimentally: "Eius librum amatura" (which changes the tense a bit and still "suum" is better)
  8. Rogan New Member

Thanks Scrabulista & Godmy. The subject line was right, I did just mean non-reflexive possession (using eius) rather than the
    reflexive (suus) construction. Some interesting experimentation nonetheless.
  9. Manus Correctrix Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    And illas visurus es conveys the notion of two specific genders with brevity, but I doubt you’d agonise about English’s inability to do the same.
    Imber Ranae likes this.
  10. vagus New Member

Strongly agree. This trend follows in Spanish, Italian and French.