1. Heliogabalus New Member

Hello, everybody!

I can't get out of my head "how to spell correctly in Latin a pagan deity that is literally death".
    It started with a name of niche metal band called "Deus Mortem".
    I soon found out, that's supposedly, gibberish, machine translated Latin.

Does "Deus Mortem" means anything at all?

Based on the band lyrical content, I assumed that they wanted to call a god, who's literally "death".
    I did a little research in the context of "personification of death", terminology, and found this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mors_(mythology)

So I grossly connected Deus + Mors, as "Deus Mors", is this appropriate way of putting it?

Please, end my misery and tell me correct possible alternatives of the band name, thank you in advance! :)
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello,

Deus mortem doesn't really mean anything on its own. It doesn't work as a self-sufficient phrase. It could theoretically be a sentence fragment meaning "God [missing verb] death", with God doing some unspecified thing to death.

Mors is a feminine noun, so in Latin death would normally have to be a goddess: Mors Dea.
    Heliogabalus likes this.
  3. Heliogabalus New Member

Thank you so much! I'm satisfied with this answer.