Google translate will ensure you fail in Latin

By Iohannes Aurum, in 'English to Latin Translation', Oct 1, 2010.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    With well-recognized quotes that have translations available pretty much everywhere, Google Translate will do fine because it probably just has them in a database. But it won't be able to do anything that's not a very famous quote.
    Terry S. likes this.
  2. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    No, it hasn't got any better... Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 09.07.50 .png
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, decorum can mean "handsome", if applied to a man, but of course that won't always be the appropriate translation, and the machine, being unable to analyse context as a human would, will just often fail to adjust its translation to the context, as in the case of dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
  4. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    It's also a little unfair to enter a derived term (< decorus). I don't think anyone uses das Googlor as a morphological reference.
  5. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I think you would be surprised by how much faith people put in it—or maybe you wouldn't :(
  6. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    I cringe almost every time I see a tattoo in either any non-modern language or a modern language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet.

Most of the time, they're incorrect.

If those have a correct translation, I would praise them for doing the research.
  7. joz New Member

8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    This isn't in Latin, but still demonstrates the ineptitude of Google Translate in a funny way.

J.M, Iohannes Aurum and Cinefactus like this.
  9. [IMG]

Simply ridiculous...
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :D
  11. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    Have your system set to Spanish, hey, overachiever?!
    ¿Qué piensas, güey?
  12. Caleb Lewis New Member

So, are there any good online Latin translators, for us self-teaching folk? :laugh:
  13. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Sure there are, and you've come to the right place to find them. ;)
    Ignis Umbra, J.M and Caleb Lewis like this.
  14. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    If you mean automatic translators, though, no.
    Caleb Lewis likes this.
  15. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

At 0:31 in this trailer, they use Google Translate to translate Latin. The Latin itself is a bit incorrect, but Google translates it correctly. Strangely, this is a phrase that Google actually does seem to get right (or as right as possible given the bad grammar) in real life.
  16. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    :( You'd think that with the sorts of budgets available for such films, they could have actually checked with a Latinist to make sure that the Latin says what they wanted it to say.

I have to wonder whether they used some translation software (not GT, though, because it gives a different output) to do the initial translation from English to Latin.
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The Latin seems like it could be the output of a human being with some Latin notions though not enough to handle appositions properly.
  18. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

LOL, I like this phrase :D
  19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    What's special (or wrong) about it?
  20. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Not sure exactly. It just seems like a sort of cute/diplomatic way of saying "very basic/mediocre knowledge".