Google translate will ensure you fail in Latin

By Iohannes Aurum, in 'English to Latin Translation', Oct 1, 2010.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    With well-recognized quotes that have translations available pretty much everywhere, Google Translate will do fine because it probably just has them in a database. But it won't be able to do anything that's not a very famous quote.
    Terry S. likes this.
  2. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    No, it hasn't got any better... Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 09.07.50 .png
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, decorum can mean "handsome", if applied to a man, but of course that won't always be the appropriate translation, and the machine, being unable to analyse context as a human would, will just often fail to adjust its translation to the context, as in the case of dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
  4. Hemo Rusticus One Slick Hombre

• Civis Illustris
    It's also a little unfair to enter a derived term (< decorus). I don't think anyone uses das Googlor as a morphological reference.
  5. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I think you would be surprised by how much faith people put in it—or maybe you wouldn't :(
  6. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    I cringe almost every time I see a tattoo in either any non-modern language or a modern language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet.

Most of the time, they're incorrect.

If those have a correct translation, I would praise them for doing the research.
  7. joz New Member

8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    This isn't in Latin, but still demonstrates the ineptitude of Google Translate in a funny way.

J.M, Iohannes Aurum and Cinefactus like this.
  9. [IMG]

Simply ridiculous...
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :D
  11. Hemo Rusticus One Slick Hombre

• Civis Illustris
    Have your system set to Spanish, hey, overachiever?!
    ¿Qué piensas, güey?
  12. Caleb Lewis Member

So, are there any good online Latin translators, for us self-teaching folk? :laugh:
  13. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Sure there are, and you've come to the right place to find them. ;)
    Ignis Umbra, J.M and Caleb Lewis like this.
  14. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    If you mean automatic translators, though, no.
    Caleb Lewis likes this.
  15. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

At 0:31 in this trailer, they use Google Translate to translate Latin. The Latin itself is a bit incorrect, but Google translates it correctly. Strangely, this is a phrase that Google actually does seem to get right (or as right as possible given the bad grammar) in real life.
  16. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    :( You'd think that with the sorts of budgets available for such films, they could have actually checked with a Latinist to make sure that the Latin says what they wanted it to say.

I have to wonder whether they used some translation software (not GT, though, because it gives a different output) to do the initial translation from English to Latin.
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The Latin seems like it could be the output of a human being with some Latin notions though not enough to handle appositions properly.
  18. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

LOL, I like this phrase :D
  19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    What's special (or wrong) about it?
  20. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Not sure exactly. It just seems like a sort of cute/diplomatic way of saying "very basic/mediocre knowledge".