Greek Practice advice

By AVGVSTA, in 'Ancient Greek', Jun 12, 2018.

1. Χαίρετε!

I have been teaching myself Greek with From Alpha To Omega for the past two months, and is currently on chapter 13. I'd love to practice my Greek more over the summer, but From Alpha To Omega feels like Wheelock's Latin's Greek alter ego(as in it offers sentences and selections, but not longer readings) I'd love to find a textbook with long practice passages like the Cambridge Latin Textbooks or Jenney's.

Are there any Ancient Greek practice books you would suggest?
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Ever tried Athenaze?
    Gutavulfus and Hemo Rusticus like this.
  3. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Athenaze (< Ἀθήναζε lit. 'Athensward') is highly acclaimed by peeps at my old university, but I haven't so much as glanced at it, so thither you go.

I had an Oxford text by a certain Paine that was pretty good. Selections from biblical texts and Xenophon if I remember. Plus it used 'Porson', which is a must-have as far as I'm concerned. My intro Greek class used something like 'Intensive Greek Grammar', which had some god-awful Roman typeface.
  4. Thank you!
  5. Also, what Greek dictionaries would you suggest? My school didn't officially offer Ancient Greek until now, so I need to bring my own materials for my Greek course next year.
  6. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    For beginners, the abridged version of the Oxford standard (Liddell, Scott, & Jones A Greek-English Lexicon), also called the 'Little Liddell', is very common I think.
  7. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There are two abridged versions, making three in total. So in addition to the little Liddell, there's the middle Liddell and the great Scott.
  8. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    See I thought there was a 'middle Liddell'. Think I have that one.