greek principle parts?

By Filius Volcani, in 'Ancient Greek', Sep 27, 2018.

1. Filius Volcani New Member

Hi, i recently started greek after about 3 years in latin. My question is do i need to memorize the 6 greek principle parts like i did in latin? if not then it seems like it would be impossible to recolonize or look up something that was irregular. I would have assumed the answer was yes but Dr Mulinarius from the TeachingCompany didnt make a big deal of it like he did for Lain.
  2. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Eventually, yes, otherwise (as you point out) you won't necessarily be able to recognise what verb a form comes from. Not that you need to memorise every irregular principle part in your first week, of course. The present and aorist are the most common forms.
  3. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    I still remember the day I found out Greek had six principal parts.

I died a little inside.
    AVGVSTA likes this.
  4. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Not to mention, of course, those verbs with an irregular imperfect, where you have to remember seven...
  5. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm. I either never knew that, forgot, or erased it from my memory.
  6. Filius Volcani New Member

great. it is nice to only have 1 conjugation instead of 5 i guess. ive noticed that greek wiktionary is much less put together than the latin, making it harder to look things up.
  7. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    No academe I've ever met has had the chutzpah to claim he knows every principal part of every Greek verb, but as with Latin, the irregular forms should be an area of focus. In the case of verbs like λέγω, which has a complete set of suppletive forms, you'll need to memorize anywhere between 7 and 10 in order to read across dialects & periods.
  8. Ser Nūmen lūnāre

• Civis Illustris
    I regularly talk to a guy who was once an administrator on Wiktionary and who was very much involved in Ancient Greek data entry. He gave up on improving it because he felt all he was doing was taking data from great, free, online sources like the LSJ and the DGE (check them out on http://logeion.uchicago.edu ) and trimming them down into a worse place of reference. He said the generated declension/conjugation tables (the one advantage Wiktionary has, according to him) didn't justify such a thing.
  9. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

You're taking Molinarius' course? Cool! I did his Latin 101 course, which is half of how I fell in love with the language (the other half being this forum). How're you enjoying it?
Tags: memorize, verb