Greek Pronunciation Exercise

By Kuba26, in 'Ancient Greek', Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kuba26 Member

As a pronunciation exercise, I recorded the following three sentences. I should point out that I have never had any formal instructions on how to pronounce Ancient Greek, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

The transcript of the recording is as follows:

θύω τῇ καλῇ θεῷ, ἐὰν ἀγαθὸν ζῷον πέμψῃς.
    ἡ μὲν μάχη στρατιώταις κακή, ἀγαθὴ δὲ ἡ νίκη.
    τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς ἐκέλευσε τὸν πόλεμον παῦσαι πρὸ τῆς νίκης.

Attached Files:

2. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Ok, I will (because I was asked to) listen to it and react to it live, judging it by the standards of the restituted pronunciation with the pitch/tonal accent.
  3. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    And here we go

correction: in the last word (νίκης) the iota can actually be long, my bad (and then I even said it long myself a few times).

Attached Files:

Last edited by Godmy, Sep 3, 2016
    Kuba26 and Wryly like this.
  4. Kuba26 Member

Thank you Godmy! Your feedback has been a great help, I will upload an improved version sometime.
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Great :)

One more thing that I didn't mention about the restituted model in this example (because there was no opportunity to do so) is that the "ei / ει" (appears a lot in endings) [but is not in this text] is not pronounced as a diphthong, as the vowel in English "play", but that it is, just like ου, a false diphthong: it is really a monophthong, a long one: that is, [e:], like in French école but a bit longer. This is also one of the big differences between this pronunciation and the traditional ones where it is realized as a diphthong.
  6. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    That means that the two passive/medio-passive endings of the second person singular indicative as in λύει and λύῃ are pronounced exactly in the opposite way in the restituted pronunciations than in the other ones, since "ei" gets pronounced as a long monophthong and ῃ - eta with iota subscriptum gets pronounced as ηι a long diphthong (which I mentioned in the recording).
  7. Kuba26 Member

Dear Godmy,
    I feel I owe you an apology since I once promised to post a revised version to this pronunciation exercise after you so carefully and extensively commented on it.
    So here it is. Your feedback was very useful. And I hope this recording is closer to the mark! Thank you in advance :)

Attached Files: