Tattoo He walks among us, but he is not one of us

By deadgreysnow, in 'English to Latin Translation', Dec 12, 2011.

1. deadgreysnow New Member

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

This is meant for a tattoo, this will be my first. I've been going through a lot lately, and this this phrase means a lot to me.
    It is from the show Lost, turns out that's what Jack's Chinese tattoo supposedly means.
    Its not just my because of my love of the show, I have always seen myself as my own person, never following the herd, etc.
    It just seems like a phrase that encompasses my attitude pretty well, plus its nice and mysterious.
    I would love for it to actually include the term for "walking," I don't want it to be too vague.
    Basically in the context of the show it meant that they knew he didn't belong, but they allowed him to live among them.
    This tattoo was almost a label or a branding that he was given and he never knew its meaning.
    I would like my tattoo to be worded along the same lines, as if someone put it on me as a label, branding me as an outsider.
    That doesn't mean I want it to have a negative tone, just make sure it is not worded in 1st person, but as if someone else did it.

I have a translation from Yahoo Answers, but have gotten some variations...."Inter nos ambulat, sed nostri non esti."
  2. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    the second part reads better sed non est noster or sed noster non est; rest is fine
  3. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    This isn't particularly better -- though for some reason 'incedit' feels more appropriate than 'ambulat'. I wanted to try something with the idiom 'in numero esse' (to be in the number), which means to be in a class, of a type, belonging to a group or definition. But while it is easy to say someone is a human being (in numero hominum est), or just 'this kind of person' ('in hoc numero est'), I'm not sure how it plays to say 'in a class which consists of, er, us'. in numero nostro (in our number)? Or in numero nostrum (=in the number of us)? Or in numero nostrorum (=in the number of our <people>)? If any of these did work, then, using the first:
    inter nos incedit, in numero nostro non habendus = he walks among us, not to be considered in our number
    or
    numero nostro exemptus inter nos incedit = not included in our number, he walks among us

Actually, just had a better thought:
    apud nos incedit, inter nos haud numerandus= he walks among us, not to be numbered among us (ie he should not be counted as one of our number)
    The English covers up the fact that I used two different words for 'among', so it doesn't sound so flat in Latin. Seems pretty good to me, in fact.
    Ipse Dixit likes this.
  4. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    What about something like:
    apud nos peregrinus
  5. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    ... meaning, 'a foreigner/traveller among us'
  6. deadgreysnow New Member

I actually really like the the "foreigner" idea....
  7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    or ... peregrinus inter nos
  8. Effertus Meri New Member

Or peregrinus in nos while we're at it
  9. BennyJC New Member

Hi, was just wondering what the final translation should/could be? Thanks
  10. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    EM's should work fine.
  11. BennyJC New Member

So either one of these?:

Peregrinus in nos, sed non est noster.
    Peregrinus in nos, sed nostri non esti.
  12. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    just peregrinus in[ter] nos
  13. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    I’d prefer apud.
  14. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Just my tuppence
    Judging from the way Cicero used "peregrinus" I would go for peregrinus inter nos.
  15. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    It would have to be in nobis, not in nos. I'd say inter nos is better for our purposes, though.

apud is more general than inter when used of persons. It's a bit like French chez. Here's one explanation of the difference between the two.
    Matthaeus and Cursor Nictans like this.
  16. Anon New Member

I'm a little confused, is the whole phrase "He walks among us, but he is not one of us." translated as peregrinus inter nos?
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Not really of course... Peregrinus inter nos is just a shorter phrase expressing more or less the same idea, not a real translation.
  18. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Out of curiosity, I visited studybible sites to look for some exemplary expressions corresponding to "walk(s) among...":

2 Corinthians 6:16 (YLT)
    and what agreement to the sanctuary of God with idols? for ye are a sanctuary of the living God, according as God said--`I will dwell in them, and will walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people,
    Vulgate(i) 16 qui autem consensus templo Dei cum idolis vos enim estis templum Dei vivi sicut dicit Deus quoniam inhabitabo in illis et inambulabo et ero illorum Deus et ipsi erunt mihi populus

Leviticus 26:12 (KJV)
    And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people.
    Vulgate(i) 12 ambulabo inter vos et ero vester Deus vosque eritis populus meus

Zechariah 3:7
    KJV(i) 7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
    Zechariah 3:7
    Vulgate(i) 7 haec dicit Dominus exercituum si in viis meis ambulaveris et custodiam meam custodieris tu quoque iudicabis domum meam et custodies atria mea et dabo tibi ambulantes de his qui nunc hic adsistunt

2 Thessalonians 3:11
    KJV(i) 11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
    2 Thessalonians 3:11
    Vulgate(i) 11 audimus enim inter vos quosdam ambulare inquiete nihil operantes sed curiose agentes

Revelation 2:1 (Common)
    "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: 'These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands:
    Revelation 2:1
    Vulgate(i) 1 angelo Ephesi ecclesiae scribe haec dicit qui tenet septem stellas in dextera sua qui ambulat in medio septem candelabrorum aureorum
    Pacis puella likes this.
  19. Anon New Member

20. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I'd translate this as inter nos ambulat nec est nostrum.