Help with translating a line from Hellraiser IV - Bloodline

By jeremybbbbbbb, in 'Latin to English Translation', Aug 7, 2016.

1. jeremybbbbbbb New Member

Can someone please translate what this guy is saying in the movie Hellraiser: Bloodline?

I realize that this movie is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm writing something based on this and would like to know the english translation.

Thanks in advance!

It's at the 4 minute, 23 second mark :)
  2. LVXORD Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It looks like "spectare navicula suavis"(which doesn't appear to mean anything, at least from what I can tell, unless it's "spectare navicula sua vis", which is intelligible, but doesn't seem to mean much relevant to the context. Then, he starts saying some modified version of the first quote - "spectare...deum (?) suavis". It's pretty normal for nonsensical Latin to be used to films.
  3. jeremybbbbbbb New Member

So the first one (according to google) translates to:

"they want to look like a boat"... which is funny, but yeah that doesn't make sense

The second one is "they want to look to God", which KINDA works since he is essentially summoning a demon to inhabit her body.

Any other possible meanings or is it truly nonsense?
  4. LVXORD Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Google Translate is quite often completely wrong. I think its nonsense, but wait for someone else to check, perhaps.
  5. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    The first time it sounds - to me - like he says Spectare navicula suavis - "To watch a sweet small ship". Grammatically incorrect nonsense.

The second time it sounds like he says Spectare hordeum suavis - "To watch sweet barley". Also grammatically incorrect and of course complete nonsense.

I believe the filmmakers do this on purpose in order to have fun with the very few people who understand it or bother to look it up :p 99.9% watching the movie won't get it anyway, and it sounds like good latin if you don't understand it. The grammatical incorrectness stems of course from their lack of knowledge about the language.

That's my take on it at least.
    Aurifex likes this.
  6. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    One could take it as vocative: "To watch, O sweet small ship!"

;)
    Araneus likes this.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    LOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL

Edit: To the video. It's just funny to hear nonsense spoken in such a seriously dramatic tone.
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, technically, it could also mean "Be watched, O sweet small ship", but well...
    Callaina likes this.
  9. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    And a similar idea for the second one: "To watch barley, O sweet one!"
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Or "To watch the barley of the sweet one!"
  11. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    That too :D
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Or even, "Be watched, O barley of the sweet one!"
  13. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I wonder if they were really trying to translate some original, meaningful sentences into Latin, or if they just picked random words from a dictionary or so.
  14. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes. The most theoretically grammatically coherent translations of the two sentences are really "Be watched, O sweet small ship" and "Be watched, O barley of the sweet one".

But of course, it doesn't mean much and it's unlikely that they ever really intended to say that.
  15. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Oh my goodness...I just actually watched that bit and tears were actually rolling down my cheeks by the end. :hysteric:

That, and the fact that apparently the elements/magic forces understand what he means, even though it's complete gibberish. :D
  16. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Spectaaaaaare naviiiculaa suaaaaaviiiis! :devilsmile:

LOL
    Callaina likes this.
  17. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    I wonder if any overly-inquisitive kids who'd seen the movie actually tried to summon a demon by chanting that, LOL. :D

*pictures a cute little ship full of barley appearing out of nowhere*
    Pacifica likes this.
  18. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    My guess is they just picked words that they thought would have a dramatic ring. The phrase actually does sound quite impressive indeed, all those long echoing A's, if you don't know what it (fails to) mean. :D
  19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :hysteric:
  20. Laurentius Pontifex Maximus

• Civis Illustris
    Maybe first part could have naviculas and then it'd be correct. But it doesn't sound like that. :D