Help with Translation Path

By iamrian, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', May 10, 2019.

1. iamrian New Member

I am a new Latin learner, and would appreciate some wisdom on the translation path I have set-up for myself.

I have been moving slowly through Wheelock's Latin for a year now, and will finish at the end of this year. Currently, my plan after Wheelock is to translate selections from Seneca's "Letters from a Stoic", followed by Cicero's "Against Catiline" and then, finally, translate one book of Virgil's "Aeneid".

I am looking for help in the following areas: do you have any suggestions for which of Seneca's letters I should translate? There are a lot and I would like to translate the best ones (maybe 20-30 letters?). Should I translate all four of Cicero's speeches, or just focus on specific ones? Last, which book of the "Aeneid" should I translate?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to the insight.
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Not familiar with Seneca's letters, so I can't speak on those.

I'd read as much you're able to from the Catilinarians, and I'd suggest Dyck's commentary.

https://www.amazon.com/Cicero-Catilinarians-Cambridge-Greek-Classics-dp-0521540437/dp/0521540437

As for the Aeneid, I'd suggest 2, 4, or 6 or... just 1 lol. Austin has individual commentaries for all four of those books, but they can start to add up in price.

This is a good, cheap option for a commentary, but just know that there is some plagiarism (especially for books 1 and 2). But overall, it's a good resource for a novice.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeneid-Focus-Vergil-Commentaries-English/dp/1585102148
  3. iamrian New Member

Thank you, AoM, for the response. I will look into your suggestions.