Hic Terminus Haeret

By ULANOSO, in 'Latin to English Translation', May 27, 2019.

1. ULANOSO New Member

From digging through a simple google search, I’ve read a bunch of different sources that point to the phrase's different meanings. some talk about Virgil “Aeneid,” Claude Paradin’s French Emblems, Daniel Spoerri’s garden, or other instances with this phrase showing up. It seems to take on a variety of different meanings depending on the context, such as:
    “Here is the end of all things” “Here join the borders” “The end stays here”

The use of “terminus” as a “fixed end” seems to clash with the verb “hæret” which also has various translations (to hesitate, to be confounded/perplexed). In this sense, “terminus” and “hæret” rather contradict each other(?). Perhaps the overall idea of the words is to give the impression of something that is both finite and ephemeral. Same idea could be applied to the temporal and/or spiritual “boundary” idea. Or maybe that’s completely wrong! Would love some guidance on this.
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  2. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Hmm. I see it as "here the end stays." I don't think it could be "end of all things" (although Google does give results that point to that) because grammatically there is no genitive.
  3. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe figuratively it means "end of all things"? That wouldn't make too much sense to me.
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Verg. Aen. 4,612-614

si tangere portus
    infandum caput ac terris adnare necesse est,
    et sic fata Iovis poscunt, hic terminus haeret, (...)

(Dido says)
    If it's necessary for that abominable head to reach the harbour and make his way to the land (= Italy), and - as Juppiter's fate requires - if this final purpose sticks/remains valid ...

The final purpose in this context is Aeneas's fate to settle the Trojans in Italy and to create a tribe that would later found the city of Rome.
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  5. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Ah!