Hieronimus cardamus de rererum varis tate; Io croleerii et..

By Anonymous, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 26, 2009.

1. Anonymous Guest

I received a box made to look like an old book as a gift, and it has a Latin title on both sides. Unfortunately I have no idea what the title says, and my internet search has given me nothing. Any help with any of the words would be lovely, even a confirmation that they are all words (The lettering is somewhat faded, so I'm not totally sure on any of them.)

The title is: HIERONIMUS CARDAMUS DE RERERUM VARIS TATE
    Underneath that,t here are more words: IO GROLEERII ET AMICO RVM

I am assuming the bottom part says something about "my friend Rum." I know that Hieroniumus means 'sacred name.'

Thank you!
  2. Chamaeleo New Member

Re: HIERONIMUS CARDAMUS DE RERERUM VARIS TATE

‘HIERONIMUS CARDAMUS’ is presumably someone’s name.

‘AMICO RUM’ is no doubt ‘amīcōrum’ — ‘of the friends’.

It would be good to have a photograph of this.
  3. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Re: HIERONIMUS CARDAMUS DE RERERUM VARIS TATE

Maybe that suggests ...de rerum varietate in the first line...
  4. pwicca New Member

I found a similar box online, that's how I ended up here. I attached a couple of pics of the front of the book. Sorry, they're not great, there were multiple pics so every time I saved the pic it saved the last one which showed it open so I had to to take a screen shot and then format the picture in the screenshot to remove all the background stuff from the website.

Attached Files:

5. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris