Inspirational Hold your horses

By J.M, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jan 11, 2019.

1. J.M Active Member

Greetings to all Latin D members,

Today I would like the phrase on the thread title to be translated into Latin, or if it does not sound good that maybe there is another equivalent of this phrase in Latin,

All help is appreciated,
    J.M
  2. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    A literal translation of "hold your horses" certainly wouldn't have the idiomatic meaning in Latin that it does in English (i.e. "not so fast", "wait a moment").

My suggestion: Te frena or frenare = "bridle/curb yourself", i.e. "control yourself, rein yourself in".
  3. J.M Active Member

Thank you for your assistance Callaina I will bear that in mind.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    To be honest, that's a novel phrasing in Latin rather than an idiom like the English. I'm not sure what might most naturally have been said in Latin, though.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, I wasn't trying to imply that it was idiomatic in the same way that "hold your horses" is -- simply that it conveyed the same sort of idea, and furthermore preserved some of the imagery (reining horses in).