How long did it take you to learn Latin?

By soror mystica, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 19, 2012.

1. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Cum verbo loquendi non accusativus linguae, sed ablativus usurpatur. Lingua enim est quasi instrumentum quo loquaris.

Non loquor ea lingua.
  2. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Another question that just occurred to me. I've heard it said before that a good marker of fluency in reading a language is whether one can "skim" it as people generally can in their native tongue. Do you find this is possible in Latin -- or does the very nature of the language (where meaning is generally more diffused) make it more difficult than English?
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Mmm... I hardly ever want to skim a Latin text, because generally, when I pick one up, it's because I want to read it all. Now I guess it must have happened to me a few times, when, say, I looked at a thread where someone had posted a rather big chunk of text, and I didn't have time but just looked at it a bit to see what it was all about... To be honest I have no precise memory of it, lol, as it isn't something I've ever really payed attention to; but I suppose I'd be able to skim a text and gather only a few important points — I don't see why I couldn't, at any rate.
  4. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    For prose, at least, I can skim through without stopping. Not as easy as English, that's for sure, but that's due more to being heavily exposed to the latter than to any inherent difficulty in the former, I think.