How to read the classics

By Oliverliver123, in 'Latin Language Resources', Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Are there any techniques to gain a proficient reading level? Especially when reading Caesar or Virgil.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I know some formal techniques are out there, which I've never tried or paid attention to so I can't tell what they're worth, but the technique that worked for me was reading. Read a lot and you'll become a proficient reader. In the beginning, you'll have to use your dictionary incessantly and you'll get stuck on unfamiliar constructions; that's normal. But the more you read, the more you'll grow familar with it all and the easier it'll become to simply read pretty much as you would read English.
  3. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    At first, it's okay to use books that do a great deal of the (research) work for you, like Pharr's Aeneid, but once you've gotten ahold of the material (in terms of grammar, lexicon, usage, etc.) you'll probably find it more rewarding to forge ahead with little else than your trusty dictionary.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Also, when you come across a construction that you can't figure out, you can always post about it on the forum. I guess this was part of my technique as well; in the beginning of my "reading career", I did that, and it helped.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Unfortunately, most of the people who helped me a lot back then are now not so active on the forum anymore and some have even completely vanished :(; but, luckily for today's beginners, other people (including myself) are now there who can help.

Come and go...
  6. Anbrutal Russicus New Member

7. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    I don't think you need any special method, just read :) And use dictionary and commentaries if needed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.