How to write and speak in hexameter

By Oliverliver123, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Aug 20, 2018.

1. I know how to scan lines, but I still have trouble reading the poems out loud this way, suggestions/tips or tricks? Also, any idea on how to write in hexameter?
  2. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
  3. Anbrutal Russicus New Member

Reading this page by Johan Winge from start to finish and watching the videos on this channel should go some way towards this goal. Yes, his metallic voice and forceful stress can be somewhat jarring, but this doesn't detract from the tremendous educational value of those materials.

To write in hexameter you need to become comfortable with the language, read some hexameters and give it a go yourself, catching the moment when the Muses show you favour (or take the bull by the horns and make them). This website gives some additional tips and is also sure to inspire by example; if you're really serious about it and care to travel to Sicily, their workshop might interest you.
  4. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    For composition, I used this textbook for a bit: https://archive.org/details/apracticalintro10arnogoog

But, to be honest, if you read all of Vergil and get a feel for it, know the rules of scansion, and can already do prose comp, you should be able to come up with passable lines. You do also need to know the various technical rules, of course.