1. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    It would be great if this website were upgraded to HTTPS.

It's much more secure and practically every single major website already uses HTTPS.
    Ignis Umbra likes this.
  2. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Indeed, http is insecure.
  3. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, I got robbed the other day when viewing this website on my smartphone.
  4. Ignis Umbra Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris
    While I agree, isn't this more of a XenForo thing and less LatinD specifically, or are there ways to get at the underlying HTML?
  5. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    A wise guy, eh? Well, maybe I oughtta pop you in the chops, buster, 'n then we'd see what's what.
    Ga'head, put up yer dooks!
    :swearing:
  6. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

I would think it to be a XenForo thing (perhaps it defaulted to HTTP?). However, the XenForo community site itself (using XenForo of course) is HTTPS, so there has to be a way to change it.
  7. R. Seltza Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I know that I'm late to the discussion, but if you're using Firefox, there's an add-on you can use called HTTPS Everywhere.
    It adds the extra layer of encryption & practically forces sites to use HTTPS.

Address Bar.JPG
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  8. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Dang, how? That's cool.
  9. R. Seltza Well-Known Member

In Firefox (or Chrome, Opera, & maybe some other browsers), just go to your favorite search engine & type in "HTTPS Everywhere addon".
    It should give you a link to the relevant web store to add it to your browser for free.
  10. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris

No no no no noo.... It does not.
  11. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

It doesn't?
  12. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris

No it does not!

We can pitch in and buy a certificate and have Akela install it on the server.

Akela I'll pitch in just PM me.
  13. R. Seltza Well-Known Member

The add-on by itself is not an all-in-one solution & it's not the only thing I do to protect myself from eavesdropping, MITM attacks, & other nefarious issues.

It's not as good as actually having a website that already has HTTPS installed on its server. It only provides partial protection.
  14. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris
    Sorry buddy. It does not provide any protection. Period.
  15. R. Seltza Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it at least offered partial protection.

I always like learning, especially about cyber issues. Care to enlighten me as to why it provides no protection whatsoever?
  16. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris
    HTTPS Anywhere or similar add-ons help you identify if a website pulls in a non secure resource. They do not protect the traffic at all.

For example:

A secure website (A) https://secure.com plays a video from a non secure source (B) http://somewhere.com. The traffic between you and site (A) is protected while the traffic between you and site (B) from which the video is being streamed is not, even though you are viewing that video on site (A). Add-ons like that alert you when a scenario like this happens, but they don't actually protect your traffic.
  17. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Would wearing a condom help for protection when viewing this site?
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  18. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris

:)
  19. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It depends on what else you're doing at the time.
  20. LCF a.k.a. Lucifer

• Civis Illustris

or who you are doing I guess.