1. LenCabral Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how to make an adjective out of a race of people, like "Hun" in the example above. Bennett's gives a list of how to make adjectives out of nouns, but only give place names, not the names of the people themselves.

Also would a genitive be possible with something like "Hun Shop"?
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    II. Deriv. Hunniscus, a, um, adj., of or belonging to the Huns, Hunnish : equus, Claud. in Eutr. 4, 4; 7.
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  3. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

A genitive wouldn't be necessary; you could just use the adjective.
  4. LenCabral Member

I guess I should be more clear with what exactly I'm asking for. I'm doing a translation of Zelda: Ocarina of Time into Latin. So I was actually wondering how best to translate "Goron Shop" into Latin. Given that there is no such word in Latin (of course), I was wondering more about the derivational process into adjectives. Based on what Dantius said, it seems like "Taberna Goronisca" should work fine.
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  5. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

Well, that's interesting. So it's Goroniscus you're using.
  6. LenCabral Member

Yeah, basically I need adjectival forms of many of the race names. For some of them, genitives seem to work fine. Gerudo Fortress = Castellum Gerudonum, etc. However, some of them work less well, like "Deku Shield," "Zora Shop", etc. So right now I'm going with:

Kokiranus, a, um - of the Kokiri
    Goroniscus, a, um - of the Gorons
    Zoranus, a, um - of the Zora
    Hylianus, a, um - of the Hylians

Don't have anything for Deku or Gerudo, yet however. I've just been using genitives for them.

7. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

OMG. Have all of your posts been about translating OOT? You needed fairy for Navi, and dinosaur for King Dodongo!
  8. LenCabral Member

Most of them, yes! Some were just basic questions I had. I always had a dream to translate this game into Latin, but the tools to do so weren't available to programming noobs like me until 2018. :)
  9. Issacus Divus Well-Known Member

It would be cool if that were released. Catching those cuccos is hard work.
    Gerudo and Deku are really abstract for Latin...maybe Gerudunus and Decunius.
  10. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    The problem is that Latin doesn't really have regular patterns. For instance, I haven't really seen that -iscus ending except in Hunniscus.
  11. LenCabral Member

The question that I'm asking (which is very hard to answer, of course) is "Would a native Latin speaker interpret this properly?" and maybe secondarily "If I was a native Latin speaker (who was also a native English speaker), what would I choose for the translation of this?" Obviously those are impossible to know to 100% certainty, but those are my main goals. Given the fact that this ending is used in at least one other lexical item, it seems reasonable that a native Latin speaker could interpret the translation I used, even if one doesn't exist in actuality.
    Gregorius Textor likes this.