HW: Alterum genus est equitum. Hi, cum est usus atque...

By burgerking316, in 'Latin Beginners', Nov 8, 2010.

1. burgerking316 New Member

Extremely confused
    Since Latin I, I've been the only student who has actually wanted to learn Latin. Our teacher never really taught (we never really learned infinitives/participles/cum clauses, so most of what I know is just from independently studying) and everyone would just mess around in class. Now, in Latin IV/V, no one understands what is going on.

Here is the translation we are doing now:

Alterum genus est equitum. Hi, cum est usus atque aliquod bellum incidit (quod ante Caesaris adventum fere quotannis accidere solebat, uti aut ipsi iniurias inferrent aut illatas propulsarent), omnes in bello versantur; atque eorum ut quisque est genere copiisque amplissimus, ita plurimos circum se ambactos clientesque habet. Hanc unam gratiam potentiamque noverunt.

What I've gotten out of this after a bit of trying:

The other class is of the knights. They, when they make use of and cut into any war (because Caesar's arrival was wont to happen before almost every year, when they either introduce themselves in an unjust manner or he would repel, they having been introduced), keep turning in war; and as each is their very large family and abundance, he has the most vassals and clients around himself. They knew of this one grace and power.

Please help. I wanted to be able to independently study to take the AP Latin Vergil exam next year, but I see that's an impossibility at this point. However, I would still like to master Latin to a notable degree.
  2. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Re: Extremely confused

This is all I have time for at the moment, I'll help with the rest later.

-For eques I'd say cavalryman ("knight" is a strictly Medieval rank).
    -Hi is better translated as "these men".
    -Cum est usus atque aliquod bellum incidit = "when there is an occasion and some war takes place".
    -Quod here means "which" and refers to bellum.
    -Ante modifies adventum.
    -Iniurias is a noun in this case and means something like "attacks"- because of this inferrent would be better translated as "carry out".
    -Propulsarent is plural and goes with illatas, which is the participle from inferre and lit. means "something carried out" (deduce a better meaning for this).
    -The frequentative of verto here means "engage (oneself) in X".
  3. burgerking316 New Member

Thanks! That clears up a lot.
    Hopefully I'll eventually be able to translate these passages well with not much trouble.
  4. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

For the remaining part:

-Amplissimus relates back to quisque
    -Copiis and venere (riches and charm) are both examples of the ablative of respect, linking to amplissimus- i.e. "X is distinguished with respect to wealth and grace."
    -Noscere here means "recognize".
    -Hanc unam gratiam potentiamque noverunt is all one indirect statement -> they have recognized hanc to be* the unam gratiam potentiamque.

*the esse is implied here