Tattoo I am a child of the moon, He will never leave me

By kingthatdied, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 13, 2017.

1. kingthatdied New Member

Any at all help will be appreciated
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Does "He" refer to "the moon"?
  3. kingthatdied New Member

4. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    In Latin the word for "moon" is feminine, and so is the moon-goddess, so the Romans would never call the moon "he". They'd use a feminine form ("she") = ea.
    I would translate it as:
    Filius lunae sum; ea me numquam relinquet.
    Wait for other confirmations though.
  5. amarantas New Member

Sum unus(una) de liberis lunae, quae numquam me relinquet.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Both translations proposed look OK to me.

The choice between unus and una in Amarantas's post depends on whether the child is male or female: unus for male, una for female. In Dantius's version, the child is male. For a female, you'd need filia instead of filius.

The main difference between two versions is that Amarantas's makes it more explicit that you are one child of the moon among several (it says literally "I am one of the moon's children") whereas Dantius's could be interpreted either as "I am a child of the moon" or "I am the child of the moon/I am the moon's child".

If it were important to you to have a masculine moon, you could forget about Latin and have it translated into Old English, where the moon is masculine (and the sun feminine, just the reverse of what is the case in Latin).