1. jenna New Member

After struggling with poor self esteem for much of my life, I decided I'd like to get a tattoo in latin as a daily reminder and affirmation for myself that I am ok. I'd like to either get something that means "I am enough" or maybe something along the lines of "More than enough/adeqaute/sufficient/able."

I took a few years of latin back in high school, but that was quite some time ago and my latin is really rusty. Based on what I remember, I'm thinking that sufficio would mean "I am enough." But then I got to thinking perhaps sum satis(or would the more appropriate order be satis sum?) would be more accurate.

I'm really uncertain about how to convey "more than enough" or "I am more than enough."

Any feedback or assistance would be incredibly appreciated.
  2. C Crastinus New Member

I think your ideas would work. Perhaps, Ego satis superque sum, meaning "I am enough and more than enough." You don't need the ego, but I think emphasis on the "I" might be appropriate. Most others here are wiser in the ways of Latin than I, so wait for more comments.
  3. shepscape New Member

I like the phrase "I am enough" - would the direct translation for this not be Ego Satis?
  4. nikolserey New Member

I was also wanting to tattoo this phrase in latin- please respond with additional/supporting translations!
  5. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    The short and literal translation is satis sum.
  6. nikolserey New Member

Thanks CN, if anyone else has a say before satis sum gets permanently inked on my arm, pls advise!
  7. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Anyone who tattooed 'satis sum' on their body need not be afraid that they are making a mistake. It's good Latin, and means 'I am enough' as requested.

Despite this, I probably prefer 'ego satis', with its extra emphasis on 'I', and its confident rejection of anything so fussy as a verb. This too is good Latin, means literally 'I enough', but the 'am' is easily inferred, as often happens in this sort of motto.

Both ways are bold and simple. You could do 'mihi sufficio' = 'I am sufficient for myself', which is more explicit, but you might feel some of the punch has gone.
  8. nikolserey New Member

It's a good thing I'm not impulsive- thanks Socratidion, I get my tattoo July 5th and will play with both phrases until then. Although, I am leaning towards "Ego Satis", so thanks for the post!
  9. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    fyi, there's nothing wrong with writing "Ego satis sum", either, if you want to play around with that.

You could add ipse in between to retain the effect of the ego in the other phrase.
  10. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Ipsa, for Jenna.
  11. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Or you could do mihimet ipsi sufficio to eliminate the gender issue.
  12. nikolserey New Member

Thank you for your numerous suggestions. I am female, so I even appreciate the consideration on gender.
  13. jenna New Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback and suggestions! I'll have to think awhile before making my final decision, but I feel much better now having others verify the translations.
  14. nikolserey New Member

Would anyone please advise if in "Mihi Sufficio", I would need to change genders on "Sufficio" to say "Sufficia"? With all the recommendations on gender I got confused if this one needed changing, other than the suggested "Mihimet ipsi sufficio" which eliminated gender altogether.

I am a native spanish speaker, female, but never studied latin which is why i want to make sure!

I get my ink soon! Thank you all for your help!
  15. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Latin accounts for gender in, I think, the same places that Spanish does - since sufficio is a verb, it doesn't need to be changed.

We can be confusing at times :p
  16. shepscape New Member

Could I ask for an additional but related translation?

How would one say "I must be enough" or "I will be enough"?

Thanks in advance!
  17. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    I must be enough: oportet satis sim

I will be enough: satis ero
  18. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That's an odd construction... where did you find it?
  19. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Oportet with the subjunctive? L&S shows it as classical, and cites Cicero and Horace. It avoids the necessity of a pronoun.
  20. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    here's a nice example by Cicero (fin.II.26.85):
    "me igitur ipsum ames oportet, non mea, si veri amici futuri sumus."
    I don't really find it odd. The bare subjunctive instead of the AcI may happen with quite a few other verbs as well (e.g. necesse est.)

I don't know if that's really important. There's nothing wrong with "me satis esse oportet" either