Tattoo I am the Devil, and I am here to do the Devil's work

By Sean H, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jun 18, 2019.

1. Sean H New Member

Entire phrase: "I am the Devil, and I am here to do the Devil's work."

Source: Spoken by the character Otis Driftwood in Rob Zombie's horror movie "The Devil's Rejects", before murdering two more of his victims. If you've seen the movie, then you know the context. For those who have not: Otis forces two men to help him retrieve a buried cache of weapons. The men eventually attack Otis, who quickly and brutally subdues both of them. He tells one of the men to pray to God and have lightning crash down upon him (Otis). After mocking the lack of effect from the man's prayer, Otis says, "I am the Devil, and I am here to do the Devil's work", before killing both men.

The speaker of the phrase, as Otis, is male.

I may use the words making up the translated phrase as part of a future tattoo. I have a few more tattoos already planned and have not decided if I will ever use the translation, so there's absolutely no hurry on my part; it may be a year or more before I get around to that one. I am asking for the translation now, though, since if I do use it, the words of the phrase will be need to be worked into the tattoo's structure, rather than simply adjoining an image. Thus, I need to see if the wording can fit into what I envision.

I sincerely appreciate any effort any of you might put into this. While I speak other languages, Latin is not one of them, and I understand how difficult the translation of such quotes can be.

Thank you, in advance.

Sean
    Pacifica likes this.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello,

I would suggest this:

Diabolus sum, eoque adsum ut Diaboli faciam opus.

But wait a bit to see what my colleagues think.

Bitmap, Dantius...

My doubt is about how to express "I'm here to..." What I've got seems obvious and correct, but I couldn't find any actual example of the construction.
    Sean H likes this.
  3. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I suppose what sounds odd is esse + ut. 'To be here to do X' in English might be more naturally expressed as 'to have come here to do X'.
    Sean H likes this.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Adsum can imply "to have come" too, so in theory it should work. But if it actually doesn't I suppose we could change it to veni.
    Sean H likes this.
  5. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't really see any problems with that...
    Sean H likes this.
  6. Sean H New Member

Thank you, all, for helping out with this. I very much appreciate it and did not expect such quick replies or I would have checked back earlier.