I will rise from the ashes

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hello everyone, I'm a first timer here and I was just wondering if someone would be as so kind as to help me translate the line "I will rise from the ashes."

Some translation programs pointed me in the direction of: "Ex cineribus resurgam." I believe that one is from the ashes I shall rise. Does anyone know how to change it so it is simply "I will rise from the ashes"?

Also, how would it change if it was simply "Rise from the ashes" without the subject "I?"

I appreciate all the help everyone. Thanks.
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It's amazing that a translation program can actually suggest a correct translation. This must be the first time I've seen that happen.

Latin word order is relatively free here. You may as well say "Resurgam ex cineribus" which would put the "from the ashes"-part at the end. However, in Latin the word order you would find a bit more often is the one suggested by your program.

(to) Rise from the ashes (infinitive) - Resurgere ex cineribus
    Rise from the ashes! (imperative) Resurge ex cineribus
  3. Anonymous Guest

ah i really appreciate the help.

Would you be able to quickly go over the pronunciation of those phrases? (I'm not quite sure that this is the correct place to ask.)

Thanks!
  4. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    "I will rise from the ashes" and "From the ashes I shall rise" mean the exact same thing. The only difference is style, i.e. the former sounds more contemporary while the latter sounds old fashioned and poetic.

Prescriptivist grammarians of the 19th century used to insist that in simple declarative sentences "shall" was the correct auxiliary for the first person future tense, and "will" was correct for the second and third persons (unless you were giving it emphasis, in which case the reverse was true). The distinction was always a rather artificial one, and it's pretty much universally disregarded today. Since there's only one way that Latin marks the future tense, this divergence of style is impossible to reproduce in Latin.

The unusual (for English) word order of "From the ashes I shall rise" also gives it a bit of a poetic flare. You can partially reproduce this in Latin by switching the word order to "resurgam ex cineribus", but the unusualness of it is far less stark than in English. This is because word order is not nearly as important in Latin as it is in English.

Anyway, I'd say the straightforward "Ex cineribus resurgam" is best for "I will rise from the ashes." However, I can't help but be a bit skeptical that you got this translation from an automated translator. I would love to see such a wonder if you did.
  5. Anonymous Guest

haha perhaps I'm mistaken. I've been looking for that translation everywhere over the past few weeks and that's the best one I came up with. It might have been on a website that lists some common Latin phrases. I really don't remember too well. That seems more feasible I guess haha.

I really appreciate everyone's help, you guys have made everything perfectly clear. Now lastly, can anyone quickly try to explain some type of pronunciation for Resurge ex cineribus and Ex cineribus resurgam?

Thank you!! <33
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There are many ways to pronounce Latin, since the language was around for quite a long time. I can't tell you exactly what the "modern", ecclestical pronunciation looks like. However, this is how we believe your phrase would have been pronounced in the time of the late republic (Cicero's and Caesar's Latin):

consonants:
    - r drilled as in Italian/Spanish
    - g not as in surgery, but as in game or dagger
    - all the other consonants like in English

Vowels:
    - all the "e"s in there are short I think. So pronounce the e like an English e in words like pen, den, enter
    - u as in bush, butcher
    - i as in hit, trip
    - the a sounds like the vowel in come, run, gun, love

- if you can, try to nasalyse the -am in resurgam like in French

Stress as follows:

Resúrge éx cinéribus
    Éx cinéribus resúrgam

(actually classical Latin was supposed to have a musical accent, but that would make it too difficult right now :>)
  7. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    All c's are pronounced as "k", never as "s", as well.
  8. Anonymous Guest

that helps very very much! Thanks for the detailed response.

I take it the "ex" in the phrase would be pronounced just how it is in English?
  9. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    exactly

thanks for the addition QMF
  10. Deadpool New Member

Hello all, I realize this is quite an old thread, however I'm hoping to receive a little clarification on one point if possible.

In Imber Ranae's reply, I wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly that "resurgam ex cineribus" translates to "from the ashes I shall rise."

Thanks for your help.
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Confirmed.
  12. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Unless you have some odd accent.

Incidentally, ex often loses its x before another consonant.

Yes, but I think it is better in the singular (i.e. ‘ash’) in Latin: resurgam e[x] cinere.
  13. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    the use of cinis in the plural seems to be attested, but as far as I can see only when it refers to people, as in "the ashes of your ancestors". So using the singular as Cursor suggested is probably a better option.

as far as I know, ex is more common than e, even before consonants. but it really is a matter of taste I suppose.
  14. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Ah, in that case, cineribus could be fine, since the phœnix rises from its own cremation. It's its own ancestor.