Imperative of Deponent Verbs?

By Leslie Turai, in 'Latin Beginners', Aug 6, 2017.

1. Leslie Turai New Member

I am familiar with the formation of normal Imperatives like amare = ama, or amate etc. How would you form the imperative with a verb like adversor? Would it simply be advers, by removing the singular ending?
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No.

Singular imperatives of deponent verbs basically look like the infinitive would if the verb weren't deponent.

Adversor ---> adversare
    Polliceor ---> pollicere
    Morior ---> morere

Plural imperatives are formed by adding -mini to the stem, so basically they look just like the second person plural present indicative.

Adversor ---> adversamini
    Polliceor ---> pollicemini
    Morior ---> morimini
  3. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    ... because the present infinitive active forms are identical to the passive present (scarcely used unless in deponents/semi-deponent verbs) imperative (e.g. amāre hypothetically means "be loved!" if it was used so), so, as always, you use the passive counterpart to the (potential) active form.
  4. Hemo Rusticus Member

The 2nd person sg passive indicative in -ris, as in amaris, 'thou art loved', is an innovation, whereas amare 'thou art loved' is the inherited form. It is probably the latter's likeness to the infinitive, which Godmy pointed out, that led to this collateral form.
  5. Leslie Turai New Member

Thank you all! I wasn't ignoring this, I just didn't receive notifications. The help is appreciated.