In cauliflower we trust

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jun 9, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

Strange translation I know, but need this translation for a play.

Any help or nearest possible translation appreciated! Thank you.
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    What a great question! The easy part is the "trusting in"...fidere + the dative.

The hard part is the cauliflower. We can't use the scientific name (Brassica oleracea) since cauliflower is officially no more than an unnamed variety of this species-- as are cabbage, kale, brussels-sprouts, broccoli, calabrese, and kohlrabi.

We probably can't recover an ancient Roman name, since cauliflower, believed to have originated in the eastern Mediterranean, is not known from Italy before the late 1400s.

But the Vatican, in the LRL, has three answers for us: brassica botryodes, brassica Pompeiana, and caulis floridus. Neither of the first two seem very suitable to our purpose (and the first is especially unsuitable since I don't know how botryodes, which I take to be a Greek adjectival form, should be declined in Latin).

So while I'm not crazy about it, I guess our best option for "In Cauliflower We Trust" may be:

Cauli Florido Fidimus.

Side issue: Who can tell me how to decline botryodes?
  3. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    Here's the dictionary entry for botryodes:
    botryodes, (gen.), botryodis ADJ Late veryrare
    In form of a cluster of grapes;

So, I guess it's declined as a third declension noun.
  4. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Thank you, Akela, I couldn't find it anywhere. Botryodes, -is, of one ending. That creates the alternative

Brassicae Botryodi Fidimus
  5. Anonymous Guest

Thank you very much for your reply. I was told by someone with no real grasp of Latin, but with a computer linked to the internet, that they thought it was "in caulisfloris speramus". Obviously "caulisfloris" is made up, and (I have my suspicions) is "speramus". It's been a long time since I was at school reading about Caecuilius in lecto recumbit-ing, so I had no heart to disagree.

Thanks for your kind reply and nice to see a forum on the web not using text talk!
  6. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    Caulisfloris sounds like caulis (cabbage/lettuce) + floris (flowers).
    Speramus means we trust, hope for.

The problem with caulis is that it can also refer to a certain male body part not to be mentioned in a family-friendly forum :whistle: , so I'd stay away from it.
  7. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Oops. You're right of course, Akela. Awed by the authority of the Vatican, I failed to realize that my Caulis Florido Fidimus could be misunderstood as "We trust in the florid...er... stalk". :oops: Sorry.
  8. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    :roflred: