1. Anonymous Guest

a friend of mine is planning on getting a memorial tattoo for his grandfather and wants it to be written in latin... can anyone give me the translation for "In memory of" in latin. it'll be much appreciated. :)
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    In memoriam with the genitive:

In memoriam Avi = in memory of Grandfather.

I hope this is helpful. But before using any Latin gleaned here for a tattoo, you or your friend should review the Disclaimer at the head of either of our Translation Sections.
  3. Anonymous Guest

In memory of....

Hi.

Can someone help me translate this into to latin:

"In memory of Mom" if this is grammatical right? ..

Thanks
  4. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Re: In memory of....

Here are the possible translations:
    In memoria matris (In memory of mother) or In memoria matris meae (In memory of my mother)

Please wait for others to respond first.
  5. Anonymous Guest

Thanks..

but i been told by a friend it could be translated "in memoriam mater" is that also correct?
  6. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Nope. I believe that your friend does not know the difference between the cases. "Memoriam" is incorrect in this case, since it is accusative, rather than ablative. "Mater" is also incorrect in this case, since it is nominative and not genitive. In memoria matris is more correct, since "Memoria" is the ablative version of "Memoriam" and "Matris" is the genitive form of "Mater". See the article on Latin declension so that you can understand what the nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative, vocative, and the locative cases mean.
  7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Or just pick up any decent Latin grammar.
  8. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

This would have been much easier for us if there were a sticky regarding how translations are made, instead of us having to recommend various Latin textbooks and dictionaries all the time.
  9. scrabulista Consul

• Consul

Why is it then that the old style funerals have "in memoriam?"
  10. Chamaeleo New Member

It is most definitely ‘mātris’ rather than ‘māter’, otherwise the idea of ‘of’ is lost.

As for the ‘memory’ word, things aren't so clear. The ablative (‘In memorĭā’) would seem to make sense, but the fact is that hundreds of thousands of tombstones say ‘in memorĭam’ in the accusative, many of them dating back to times when every educated man knew some Latin. I assume that some sort of figurative ‘movement towards’ is implied by the insertion of the loved one in our memory.
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

So that would make both versions correct.
  12. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I think in this case in + accusative implies purpose, so that the idea is more "for the remembrance of". I don't know the exact origin of the phrase as found in epitaphs, however. The Romans applied it to verbs like revocare and reducere to mean "recall to memory", but the ablative was used if the idea were of holding or keeping in the memory.
  13. Anonymous Guest

Thansk for the help guys, but still a bit confused..

Its for a memorial tattoo for my mom, so i have to 100% sure about which solution to choose?
  14. Chamaeleo New Member

IN·MEMORIAM·MATRIS

You could add something like ‘most beloved’ if you like.

IN·MEMORIAM·MATRIS·AMATISSIMÆ

IN·MEMORIAM·MATRIS·CARISSIMÆ
  15. Anonymous Guest

thansk, much appreciate