Inscription on my wedding band

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Aug 23, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

I`m looking at having my wedding band inscribed with a latin phrases.

The ones i have been thinking of are

Protect my heart with your love

"You will live forever in me".

Always and Forever

My post is two fold, could someone translate these?

Can anyone post latin sayings that could be relevant.

Thanks in advance.

(It only now i wish i had listeded in those latin classes at school
  2. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    "You will live forever in me" has been discussed in a separate thread; Semper in me vives was the choice.

"Always and Forever" has likewise been discussed in an older thread; the consensus there was Semper et in perpetuum.

"Protect my heart with your love" was asked in a recent thread, but no reply was given. In the hope I'm not being whooshed, I'll start with Tege cor meum amore tuo. Tege literally means "cover" with a secondary meaning of "protect/defend" (much nicer I think than defende). I would also consider Saepi - "Surround, envelope" (with a similar secondary meaning) in place of it. However, this word is more obscure that Tege, and is linked with sepelio - "bury (i.e. a body)". Not the kind of association I think you're looking for...

If you really want to get cute with this, I'd flip the word order around to Tege amore cor meum tuo. {i]Amore[/i] - "love" and tuo - "your" are linked grammatically (it's OK to split them up in Latin) and with this word order they literally cover/envelop cor meum - "my heart". I'll choose that as my final answer: Tege amore cor meum tuo
  3. Anonymous Guest

So to clarify "Tege amore cor meum tuo"

Literaly translated would be protect/defend my heart/body with you love ?

I like the idea of the words having a deeper secondary meaning.

Are there any other latin phrases that would be relevant ?
  4. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Tege amore cor meum tuo literally means "cover/protect my heart with your love".

Expressions of love are common in Latin poetry. One very famous one is from Virgil, eclogues X - Omnia vincit Amor, et nos cedamus Amori - "Love conquers all, let us too surrender to Love". This could probably be clipped to just Omnia vincit Amor - "Love conquers all" for a wedding band.
  5. Anonymous Guest

ok thank you very much for your replies.

What is the literal translation for infinty? and what latin poetry should i start researching?
  6. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    There is a noun infinitas - "infinity", but this is rather late (i.e not in use in, say, the age of Cicero). Cicero et al. rather uses the adjective infinitus to describe things as "unbounded" (that's the literal meaning of the word: in- = "not", finitus = "ended, bounded"). I suspect the concept of "infinity" itself was unknown to ancient philosophers, though they could find specific things (e.g. the number of numbers) that were infinite.

Latin poetry is a huge field; if you are specifically looking for love poetry, I'd start with the poems of Catullus. A good introductory side with side-by-side Latin translations is here; scroll down to "Catullus' love affair with Clodia" to get a link to specific poems about this tragic romance (direct link to these poems here