1. COPLAND 3 Member

FOr those who have been helping with the Glossa Ordianria project, I was curious if anyone interested in working on some interlinear glosses could take a look at this PDF and see if it is something that would be usable. If you notice, the Scripture is the larger script and the interlinear glosses are the short words structures above. Only the interlinear glosses need translated. If nobody is interested in working on these then no problem, I completely understand. I can probably get somebody off forum to help with them. I can put the images on PDF much easier than transcribe them, and that was I hope can be done rather than transcribing them all. Here is the PDF that has some of them https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...loadfile/a21574da-1ad7-4fd7-920d-544c751fc4d8
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I'm ok to help on this.
  3. COPLAND 3 Member

Awesome! How is it on your computer, can you see it good?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It's ok.

Here's what I make of that first page:

In the beginning was the word, and the word was, etc. a. That is from the initial (does someone know what "i" could abbreviate?), from the Father. b. And the word was made flesh.

a. Frequenting men. b. And we saw his glory.

a. That is (s. = scilicet?) we have known his life and on the mountain we have also known his divine virtue with our spiritual eyes. b. A true body, not a spectre.

a. Vivifying in the soul and in the body. b. The bread of angels became known to men by the prophecy (?), became clear by the miracles. He rose, and made others rise with him, through these things life was revealed.

To be with the faithful.
    In the eternal divinity.

a. To suit the occasion (?) in human nature.
    He repeats.

a. In the flesh. b. Words from his mouth. c. This is why you must believe those who have seen and heard. d. You who have not seen.
  5. COPLAND 3 Member

When I get home later I will check the abbreviations and let yoi know what I find.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks. If you can look for "Q" too, because I translated it as if it was quare but now I think it could well be quia.
  7. COPLAND 3 Member

Ok. I have most of chapter two already transcribed so once we get to that chapter then we can use that part, or at least reference it.

As for 'i', the only thing I can find is a quote that has
    Idest ab initiali, scilicet a patre
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Weird, on the link it's clearly written ab initiali. i. a patre. Perhaps idest - which would have fairly the same meaning as scilicet - (though I thought until now it was rather abreviated i.e.)?

Idest ab initiali, scilicet a patre = that is from the initial one, that is from the father.
  9. COPLAND 3 Member

Q is quasi. Here is another version to reference. It has abbreviations but oftentimes I can use both versions to clarify abbreviations. http://archive.thulb.uni-jena.de/uf...&maximized=true&page=/Mon-typ-2-00011_540.tif

Those manuscripts are often hard to navigate through if your not familiar with them, so if you want I will look for the abbreviations as you need.

I couldn't find anything that had a word starting with 'i'. Here is the closest thing I could find http://books.google.com/books?id=IQ...d=0CF0Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=ab initiali&f=false
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks. I think that most probably the "i" is either an error for "s" = scilicet, or it's for idest, which would have about the same meaning as scilicet in this context.

Correcting my sentence with quasi: c. As if he were saying "you must believe those who have seen and heard".
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  11. limetrees Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    On one line.

Panis angelorum assumptione hominubus innotuit, miraculis claruit. Surrexit, et alios secum surregere fecit, per haec vita manifestata est.

The bread of angels became known to men by the assumption, became visible [I think that's what he might be getting at] by the miracles. He rose, and made others rise with him, through these things life was revealed
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Second page.

a. Not for some temporal gain, but to do so by living well, believing well, enduring everything patiently. b. And that through fellowship with us you may pass to fellowship with God. That we may be the heirs of God, the coheirs of Christ.

a. We do not announce this in passing, but we intrust it to memory.

a. In this age in the unity of the church, and in the future age in the fellowship of angels. b. That we may lead many to the same fellowship. c. Or ours.

That must be believed.

a. Because he drives away the darkness of sins. b. That is ignorance or wickedness.
    Therefore.

a. Through faith and charity, which are associated with God. b. In sins.

a. Piling sin upon sin. b. In ourselves. By mouth, and by work. c. While we seduce others into the same lie by our example. If we are said to be light for the same reason that Christ was said light, that is if we illuminate others by his example.

Through charity.
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  13. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    Should not be a problem for me in future, but having trouble opening that firſt link right now.
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  14. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Third page.

a. And this deservedly. The sacrament of the passion of the Lord has undone all primitive and actual sins.

Proud of some justice of ours.

To greater sins. a. Because God removes himself from proud ones, but.... out of humility.

a. God, who has promised grace to the humble, is faithful by fulfilling (his promise), and just because he justly forgives to true confession.

a. As accused ones. b. Without which no one lives. c. After the dissolution of the flesh. In eternal life. So that we neither want nor are able to sin.

a. If we confess, we are cleansed, but if we want to honor ourselves. b. As if we said that we do not need to be absolved. c. Job, who says "Not even a one-day-old child is without sin" (I don't find this in Job...).

a. Christ, through whom remission (is obtained), does not abide in proud ones, or the word that he has said. The greater you are, humble yourself in all things. (This is literally what it says, but maybe it doesn't look good in English. Perhaps turn it into "the greater you are, the more you should humble yourself in all things"?)
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Feb 6, 2014
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  15. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The link in the first post no longer works, Copland.

I'll still transalte a few sentences from the other link.

Whom I must take care of, and you must obey me.

+ That you may keep it in memory. + By saying "We have not sinned".

+ Propitiating god for us by preaching and intercession.

+ Of us who are just living in the flesh. But do not say in front of every church "Here is Christ, there is Christ"; Christ is everywhere, he is propitiated everywhere. (I had already translated this sentence and was not sure of it then. Now seeing it with my own eyes, I'm still not 100% sure but I think this is correct.)
  16. COPLAND 3 Member

I will get that taken care of as soon as I get a chance. Those pdf links are temporary. Hopefully in a couple hours I will have another link.

Here is a link to exactly the images I had on PDF, with the exception of everything else on the page is there. I am on lunch break at work and only have little time available or I would provide the interlinears better. I will put the link on the same page as you left off, that being on chapter 2. Later this afternoon I can provide easier images. But with this PDF you can enlarge the images and see them quite well. Here is the link http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru06strauoft#page/696/mode/1up

I also transcribed all the interlinear glosses from chapter 2:11-26 here https://sites.google.com/site/aquin...dinaria-migne/interlinear-glosses/interlinear
  17. limetrees Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    A few things.

1. Deus qui promisit gratiam humilibus fidelis est exequendo.
    God, who has promised grace to the humble, is faithful in fulfilling (his promise),

2. On “Iob: Nec infans unius diei sine peccato est. »
    Job, who says "Not even a one-day-old child is without sin" (I don't find this in Job...).

“Nemo mundus a sorde, nec infans, cujus est unius diei vita super terram” is a common idea and refers to:
    Job 14.4 Quis potest facere mundum de immundo conceptum semine? nonne tu qui solus es?
    Who can make him clean that is conceived of unclean seed? is it not thou who only art?

3 Christus per quem remissio, non manet in superbis, vel verbu(m) quod dixit.
    Christ, through whom remission (is obtained), does not abide in the proud, nor does the word that he has said. [as opposed to “does not abide in the proud, nor in the word that he has said; just for clarity]

4 On "The greater you are, humble yourself in all things". [it sounds OK to me]
  18. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I thought "by" was better because it's an explanation of why he is faithful and why he is just. He is faithful by keeping his promisses (= because he keeps his promises), and he is just because he justly forgives...
    Thanks.
    The worst of all is that I almost wrote it like that and then changed my mind.
    Ah, ok then!
  19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    So the complete fourth page:

a. Whom I must take care of, and you must obey me. b. That you may keep it in memory. c. By saying "We have not sinned".

a. Propitiating god for us by preaching and intercession. Of us who are just living in the flesh. But do not say in front of every church "Here is Christ, there is Christ"; Christ is everywhere, he is propitiated everywhere. (I had already translated this sentence and was not sure of it then. Now seeing it with my own eyes, I'm still not 100% sure but I think this is correct.)

a. To know God is what to love is. b. Charity.

a. He who keeps the commandments knows, for he who does not keep them does not know. b. This is my precept, that you love one another, as I have loved you (John 13.34).

a. Or in this (not sure what is the point of this...) b. That of Christ who says "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14.6).

As if he were saying "He knows him". And if we keep his commandments. ---> Both links have different versions here. The old manuscript has et si mandata eius servamus = "and if we keep his commandments"; the other one has si mandata eius non servat = "if he does not keep his commandments". It seems to me the former makes more sense in the context....

a. We live the true life, we do not die. b. The commandments must truly be observed, because after baptism we say that we abide in him, and he who says he (---> these are just the first few words of verse 6).

a. On the path of justice and charity and patience. Who prayed for his ennemies. b. Who said "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matt. 16.24). c. From virtue to virtue. In the measure of his power. d. And these commandments must be observed, because... (the printed book has quia non in, which doesn't make a complete sentence - "because not in" -; the manuscript has qz non m, and I don't know what it might abbreviate...)
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Feb 9, 2014
    COPLAND 3 likes this.
  20. COPLAND 3 Member

That is awesome!