Introducing heathen to the ancient world

By Akela, in 'Latin Culture', Jun 7, 2012.

1. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    Let's say one had a friend whose knowledge of the ancient world was completely non-existent :)-o) but was curious enough to explore the subject.

What kind of topics would you introduce the friend to? What would you start with?

Believe it or not this is a real life question - from my life :p
  2. Avarus Active Member

Most people like learning phrases in another language. Start off with some easy phrases and such, getting him or her more interested. From there, move onto more cultural aspects. Throw a story of a really terrible emperor in there for funsies.
    Akela likes this.
  3. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Start with "a long time ago, before Al Gore invented the Internet..."
    Akela likes this.
  4. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    Oh sshh. :p

You see, my own knowledge is way more useful with someone who thinks Aphrodite is Zeus' daughter or that the Amazons were real - not with someone who only knows the latter is the river and is not sure what does Greece have to do with the Olympics.

I need something way more basic here. The history channel? I Claudius?

Always works :)
    Avarus likes this.
  5. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    The HBO series ROME might be a good choice. Also, the History Channel program The Dark Ages is excellent, and can be watched online.
    Akela likes this.
  6. Avarus Active Member

Actually, the History Channel has a ton of Roman emperor "biographies" that are fun to watch. Not sure exactly how accurate it is, especially the one about my favorite Caligula. That's always a fun video to show people, and they always have something to say about him afterward.

Here is a site I visit often when I'm bored of sitting here by myself, and this video might be interesting for your friend:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ancients-behaving-badly/

If you take pleasure in a drink or two, ripping the bed sheets off your bed and wearing them about the house can add a little fun to the evening. If you don't drink and do this, it might make you wish you hadn't done this since you'll just have to wash the sheets from dragging the floor....

...again.
    Akela likes this.
  7. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Aye. A favorite topic of mine, when someone is foolish enough to open my mouth, is ol' Emperor Bootlet (Caligula). You can't go wrong in talking about the guy who made his horse a priest, after deciding not to appoint it Consul.

I also like to go on about the condition of the Late Republic and consider whether Caesar destroyed Rome or saved it. I also find many points of Roman life to have anecdotal relevance to modern politics. I don't care to spark any such debates here, though.
    Akela likes this.
  8. Avarus Active Member

Awww man
    Awww, don't go insulting my uncle Caligula now. Was it really that bad or just hearsay? I think certain documents just made it worse than it actually was. Poor little sex-starved lunatic. Never stood a chance, no he didn't.
  9. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    The fact that his own guard did him in after only 4 years, when someone like Nero went on for 14 - says more than any document can :p
  10. Avarus Active Member

Haha maybe so. That just tells me Nero was a bit bigger and had more control and power than poor little Caligula with his shenanigans. I blame it on the gods really, or jealousy within the ranks.
    Akela likes this.
  11. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Probably Neptune. He doesn't like mortals declaring war against him.
  12. Joel Derfner Member

1. The really insane myths; I'd start with basically anything Medea did, but I have a soft spot for her.
    2. The HBO (or Showtime?) series SPARTACUS (which I found more entertaining than ROME, but I'm sure that varies).
    3. The murder mysteries of Steven Saylor--though it's possible (not sure) they'd be more rewarding for somebody who knew something already. But maybe not.
    Akela likes this.
  13. Joel Derfner Member

If YOU don't know the murder mysteries of Steven Saylor, Akela, I'd check out ROMAN BLOOD (his first). It's one of the very few murder mysteries that have ever shocked me.