It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

By silemsilem, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jan 7, 2016.

1. silemsilem New Member

Hello everyone,
    This quote is one of my favorite from Albus Dumbledore and I wan at tattoo of it since I graduated from university. It represents for me: don't just keep thinking about your desired future and push yourself to do it. And it is from the character of my favorite book that I grew up with. The reason I want it in Latin, keep people not asking "Aren't you too old for Harry Potter?"

-"dreams" refers for desires, what I aspire for future,
    -I found some translations on internet but they seem quite different from each other:
    “Non decet somnia cogitare et oblivisci vitae.”
    ( http://blogs.transparent.com/latin/popular-quotes-translated-to-latin/ )
    “Somniandum non est, sed vivendum”.
    ( http://en.allexperts.com/q/Latin-2145/2010/1/Translation-51.htm )

Thanks
  2. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    'Somnia' refers almoſt entirely to viſions that come with ſleep. The meaning is ſometimes extended to ideas that come to us awake, but only when dismiſſing ſuch thoughts as nonſenſe. It is not uſed in any poſitive ſense to refer to hopes and plans that might ſeriously motivate us.
  3. silemsilem New Member

I had read that complexity on forum before I opened the thread. "Dreams" in this sentence can be replaced with desire, I guess. At least it's okay for me. If so, the first translation I found, can be assumed correct?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Both sentences you've found are correct Latin, but they're referring to dreams as Abbatissae Scriptor explained it rather than to hopes/plans for the future.

Non decet somnia cogitare et oblivisci vitae means "It isn't right to think about dreams and forget life."

Somniandum non est, sed vivendum means "You shouldn't dream, but live."

In this context "dreams" would be understood as idle fancies, nonsense, and "dreaming" as having such ideas.
    Wyandotte likes this.
  5. silemsilem New Member

I appreciate your replies, thank you. so:
    -Is there another word to replace it as hopes/plans?
    -Anything is changed in feminine version?
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It makes no difference whether the person saying it is male or female.

I'll change "dreams" to "hope" or "wishes" then, and also render the "dwelling on" idea which was absent from the translations you'd found:

Non decet spei immorantem oblivisci vivere = It isn't right to dwell on hope and forget to live.

Non decet votis immorantem oblivisci vivere = Same with "wishes" instead of "hope".

Or if you liked the short version:

Non spei/votis immorandum, sed vivendum est = You shouldn't dwell on hope/wishes, but live.

Non sperandum, sed vivendum est = You shouldn't hope, but live.
  7. silemsilem New Member

Wow thank you very much. It explains a lot. It's definetely helpful.
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    You're welcome.
  9. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Isn't there a possible issue here, in that this could equally well mean: "It does not befit the one dwelling on hope/wishes to forget to live"? Which isn't quite the same as the original thought...
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I suppose it isn't impossible in theory, but it seems to me it's more naturally interpreted as what I wanted it to mean.
  11. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm, perhaps I'm just odd, but I interpreted it the other way when I first read it.
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Others can still say what they think.