Ita quod primus homo, ipsissimum Satanae mancipium sit effectus, filius ire, et aeternae damnationis

By David Buchs, in 'Latin to English Translation', Sep 13, 2018.

1. David Buchs New Member

I expected filius irae et aeternae damnationis -- "a child of wrath and eternal damnation"

Also, what is the best way to translate this use of the subjunctive, sit effectus? And what use of the subjunctive is it?
  2. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    This is typical of medieval writers, whose pronunciation of 'ae' had monophthongized to mid-open 'e' (cf. the dies irae here.)

As to the usage, with ita the easiest answer is subjunctive of result, thus:
    So that [as a result] the first man was made himself a possession of Satan, etc...

I ignore quod, both because I don't have the whole context & because it seems to be medieval, whose grammar often differs from the Classical.
    Last edited by Hemo Rusticus, Sep 13, 2018
    David Buchs likes this.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Sometimes quod is used instead of ut in result clauses in medieval Latin, I think.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It is. We would need to see the complete sentence to be sure that it's the case here, but it probably is.
  5. David Buchs New Member

Here is the context:

Quare Adam peccator factus, exuit imagine Dei, subiectus est Diabolicae potestati, et factus est pro sapiente, insipiens, pro iusto, iniustus, pro bono, malus, pro ueraci, mendax, et pro immortali mortalis. Ita quod primus homo, ipsissimum Satanae mancipium sit effectus, filius ire, et aeternae damnationis.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yep, that's it.