Just so we are ready...

By Joe Robinson, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jan 9, 2017.

1. Joe Robinson New Member

"Just so we're ready when the time comes."

Hello! So, the above phrase is what I would like to have translated. It's a quote from the film Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl. It's mine and my girlfriend's favourite film, and this has become an unofficial motto for us and our relationship. I can't find a decent YouTube clip to show you, apart from this, so you will just need to watch the film if you're interested.

For additional context, the full scene is two undead pirates sitting in front of lots of food. One says something like "Which one will you pick first?" and the other replies, "I think we should decide now, just so we're ready when the time comes." The point is that being undead, they cannot eat, but they're expecting the curse to lift at any moment so they're eagerly anticipating being able to eat food again.

I plan to propose to my girlfriend this year, and I'd like to get this engraved on a wedding/engagement ring (although a ring-tattoo is a possible Plan B). Because it's a long sentence, I'm mainly here because Latin might be able to provide a shorter equivalent, and because Latin is pretty cool.

To make things a little bit more complicated, I don't necessarily need/want the whole thing in one sentence. I would accept separate translations for:

"Just so we are ready."
    "When the time comes/arrives."

The thinking here is that I get the first part engraved on the engagement ring, and the second part on the wedding ring. Or split them between hers and mine wedding ring, or get one part tattooed and the other on the ring.... you get the idea.

Important Bit: The aim here is to get something that's short & snappy, but still carries a similar meaning. I don't really mind what the 'literal' translation is, so long as it's close enough and I can reasonably say "[the quote] is basically what it says." I can then always say what the actual translation is as a follow up.

In terms of gender - in the clip it's two guys, but in this context the 'we' is me [male] and her. If you have to pick a gender, I'm happy it being female as she is wearing the ring/tattoo, not me.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Thinking it through there are many ways you can play around with those phrases to get different translations, so I can be flexible.
    Last edited by Joe Robinson, Jan 9, 2017
  2. Hawkwood TRIBVNVS

PARATI SIC CVM TEMPVS VENIT SVMVS

Wait for confirmation or a better translation.

Ta,
  3. Joe Robinson New Member

Thanks Hawk - can you offer translations for the sentence as it is split into two parts as well? I think ultimately I might go down that route and I imagine I can't just take what you've written and just chop it in half!
  4. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

This doesn't quite work; you need a purpose clause. I also have some doubts about the idiomaticity of cum tempus venit.

Maybe: Ut parati simus cum occasio advenerit. ("So that we may be ready when the opportunity comes/is present").
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Joe Robinson New Member

Thanks Callania - what would be your recommendation if I wanted to split the sentence up?
  6. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

I glanced at your initial post again, and both Hawkwood and I forgot the "Just..." at the start, for which I would suggest Tantum.

Tantum ut parati simus/Cum occasio advenerit.
  7. Joe Robinson New Member

Hello Callania - I wouldn't say 'Just' is terribly important to the general meaning of the sentence, although I'm not a linguistic expert so I'm unaware of the significance of 'Just' in a phrase like this.

What would be the translation of the two separate halves without 'Just' ?
  8. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

Ut parati simus = So that we are ready.
    Cum occasio advenerit = When the occasion/opportunity comes.
  9. Joe Robinson New Member

Thanks Callania - should I wait for a third opinion for cross-reference or are you pretty confident.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you think cum tempus venit works? What could that be saying instead?

I'm not precious about it but I like the way tempus looks. Need to maintain a base level of accuracy though what you've suggested so far is great.

Thanks for your help!
  10. Dantius Homo Sapiens

I generally agree with Callaina's suggestions, though I wonder if "adveniet" would work as well.
    I'm also not sure that "tempus" is really that bad:
    [IMG]

"cum tempus venit" has one especially big problem. The main one is that "venit" is the wrong tense. It should be some form of future tense, as the time has not come yet, but will come in the future.
  11. Joe Robinson New Member

Hey Danitus, so based on what you said, do you think Cum tempus adveniet would work?
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

Future perfect (advenerit) is better, to my mind, since the time/occasion will have come before they eat the food.
  13. Dantius Homo Sapiens

OK, yes. What about "tempus"?
  14. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

Something still strikes me as a bit weirdly, and redundantly, abstract about using tempus in a temporal cum-clause. I mean, the cum is already implying a particular time (when a given set of circumstances holds true).

Now maybe that's just me. Have you seen any examples of cum-clauses with tempus?
  15. Dantius Homo Sapiens

I did a word search, and found this example:
    [IMG]
    It's from Cicero, 14th Philippic.
  16. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

Hmm, ok, fair enough, then. Where did you run that search? (Just curious).
  17. Dantius Homo Sapiens

This website.
    It has pretty much every author (including ones of whose works only one sentence or less survives) from the beginning of Latin to ad 200. Nice resource for word searches.
  18. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

Cool! Thanks.
  19. Joe Robinson New Member

So are we in general agreement that the following works:

Ut parati simus = So that we are ready.

Cum tempus advenerit = When the time comes (approx.)

With the full sentence being (Tantum) Ut parati simus cum tempus advenerit ?
  20. Dantius Homo Sapiens

Yes.