Knight of the Sea of Glass

By Xnoubis, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 14, 2018.

1. Xnoubis New Member

There's a certain style of motto that I've seen begin, not with "miles" in the medieval sense of knight, but "eques" or in one case "equi", followed by "ab" or "a". And I'd like to prepend that to something like "mare vitreum" from the Vulgate Rev 15:2. So, not knowing anything about Latin grammar, I'd imagine something like "Equi ab mare vitreum," but I know that's probably not right. Can anyone tell me what would be the right way to say it? Thanks in advance.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    If "of the sea of glass" denotes the knight's origin, or family name based on origin, then you could get eques de mari vitreo or eques a mari vitreo. I think the former might be a tad more usual but the latter could definitely occur as well in medieval Latin. If "of" here means something else, then you likely need a different translation.

Equi means "horses". Eques is a derivative, a knight being basically a horseman.
  3. Xnoubis New Member

Excellent! I'm inclined to believe that "Eques a mari vitreo" is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

4. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    The "sea of glass" in Revelation is indeed mare vitreum. The horsemen are described as "qui sedebat (super illum/super eum/desuper)"