Laptops

By Hawkwood, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Jul 17, 2017.

1. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Whoops. On my new lappy, while I like what I've just done, it wasn't intentional. I've no idea how that just happened.
    Terry S. likes this.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Must be a button by the exclamation mark, haha.
  3. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    Happy New Laptop! :)
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Closing the libraries down all around me. I have to send my timesheet off every week and it was becoming a pain as they're never open anymore to use the computers. I had to buy micro office as well, which was another few quid on top. O well.
  5. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    What model and what specs? How much did it cost?
  6. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Del Inspiration, I don't know the full spec. It has 8 gig of memory and runs Windows 10, I think. Still not sure what that equates to but my mrs said 10 is a pain. I wanted a mac lappy but they're £1000 + to buy.

Edit: Cost £500 with Microsoft Office. Expensive but it was becoming a pain to edit work documents.
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Jul 18, 2017
    Terry S. likes this.
  7. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Some of the MacBook Airs are sub-£1000. Yes, Windows 10 is a huge pain. Windows 8 and 10 are the reasons I switched to a Mac and never looked back.
  8. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    What's wrong with Windows 10? (I don't know, I don't have it)
  9. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I know the feeling. I think I'd like to go for the whole apple - computer & phone - but I'm still attached to the old habit of wanting to eat every day, so I doubt the switchover will happen anytime soon.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  10. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I could enlarge my text before with my old lappy but I did it via a text enlarger as opposed to hitting a button. I might try and locate the button as it's less faffing about. Also I'm now able to write cursive, which is better on the eye than parenthesis, I'm wondering if there's a button for that as well.
  11. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    It lacks all the qualities that made Windows 9 good.
  12. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    I was under the impression there was no Windows 9, though that may be the point.
  13. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    Nonexistence, indeed, is something I really miss in Windows 10.
    Dantius likes this.
  14. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    I'm reminded of Anselm's proof of God's existence, which rests on the desirability of existence. Somewhere or other I read of a stroppy teenager challenging the teacher who had introduced the proof by saying that that there was no evidence that existence was preferable to nonexistence. The teacher, not expecting resistance, asked the pupil whether she would prefer to exist or not. To which the answer was 'Do you mean in general, or at this particular moment?'
    Araneus and Terry S. like this.
  15. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    Poor old Anselm. I'm sure he was a nice guy when you got to know him, but I do hope he found a strong pair of hands to run the finances of Canterbury while he was in charge.
  16. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    My desktop, running XP, is getting slower and slower, although I run CC periodically, and has ominously failed to start a couple of times, giving me the option of starting normally or last known working configuration. This is the beginning of the end, I suspect. Meanwhile, my laptop (Windows 7) has a dodgy keyboard; I can plug an external one in, of course, but it loses portability and much else if I do. I suppose I should turn it on at some point, as it has about a year's worth of updates to digest. I don't really want a new device, but I suppose it's inevitable.
  17. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    I cannot quite comprehend my laptop's joy in forcing me to download updates which apparently make the computer slower for applications I never use (but for some reason can't delete).
    Iohannes Aurum, Terry S. and Dantius like this.
  18. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Chromebooks are very inexpensive.
    Blame Microsoft.

That's one of the major reasons I switched to a Mac. I can download an update whenever I feel like it. For Windows, you can delay updating only by a few hours at most.
  19. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Someone should mention Linux. Let it be me. Linux.
  20. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you for sharing.

My choice of Windows over Mac is determined by various factors, most boiling down to it's more trouble than it's worth to switch, and nothing gained but smugness, really. The program I use most is only available in Windows. There's a wonderful piece of software provided by a true Linux spirit that I'm grateful for, but it is a kindly spirit who has provided a Windows version. It's like a foretaste of senility, having to relearn what keys to use for what and work out where they've hidden things every time, isn't it?