Late medieval Latin in Poland/Prussia: Rex Stanislao de...

By dcostello, in 'Reading Latin', Oct 30, 2009.

1. dcostello New Member

I'm having trouble with gerundives, verbal adjectives, etc. in various positions. Also, does anyone know why phrases will sometimes be at the beginning of a sentence, and other times at the end? I've also highlighted iffy parts.

Here's some full-context examples.

Rex Stanislao de Cosczelecz, tenutario Nyeschoviensi, pontale Nyeschoviense ad eum ratione tenutae eiusdem Nyeschoviensis pertinens, fam. Reynoldo Felstelde, civi Gedanensi, in 1000 fl. hung. obligare et inscribere consentit.
    -- The King assents to Stanislaus von Cosczelecz, tenutario Nyeschovien, pertaining to the bridge toll of Nyeschovien to him tenancy account, to oblige and entitle well-known Reinhold Felstede, citizen of Danzig, in 1000 fl. hung..

Rex pro servitiis Ioannis Canopeczky, praepositi Marienburgensis, notarii sui, debitum 40 fl. Hung. Per ipsum Ioannem apud Renoldum Feltstede, civem Gdanensem, tenutarium Derschoviensem, contractum, super bonis regalibus Derschowa, eidem Renoldo assecurat.
    -- The King for services Johann Canopeki, (Dom)probst of Marienburg, his secretary, the debt of 40 hung. fl. through him Johann in the presence of Reinhold Feltstede, citizen of Danzig, tenutario of Dirschau, having been entered into agreement, concerning the royal estate of Dirschau, the same Reinhold policy holder.

Rex Lucae Watzelrode, episcopo Varmiensi, ac ipsius ecclesiae bona regalia districtum Scharfaw, officium piscaturae, ad illum pertinens, et 60 naves anguillares, in almanico raithel vocatas, cum villis ad ea pertinentibus, in terris Prussiae consistentibus, perpetuo donat cum consensu redimendi haec bona, quae antea a rege Casimiro civibus Gedanensibus in certis summis oppignorata erant.
    -- The King, Lucas Watzelrode, Bishop of Warmia, and his churches in the royal estate of the district of Scharpau, office/obligation about to be fished, pertaining to the former, and 60 fishing boats, called “Raithel [?Reitel]” in German, with villages pertaining to it/them, stopping/staying in the land of Prussia, perpetually bestows with consent ot taking these estates, which had been motgaged/pledged previously by King Casimir to citizens of Danzig in certain sum.

Mathia Czymerman, proconsuli Gedanensi, consensus bona regalia villam Grzemlyn districtus Gnyewensis de manibus Rinoldi Felstede, civis Gedanensis, redimere admittitur.
    -- To Mathias Zimmerman, mayor of Danzig, is granted the consent to purchase the royal estate Grzemlyn in the district of Gnyewens from the hands of Rinold Felsted, fellow citizen of Danzig.

Consulibus Elbingensibus censum annuum 400 fl., quem honesta Heinrich Krugeryne, civis Torunensis, ab Alexandro rege inscriptum habuerat, de manibus eiusdem eximere, consensus datur.
    -- To the Rat of Elbing is given the consent to take annual tax 400 fl., which the honest Heinrich Kruger, citizen of Torun, he had managed having been entitled by King Alexander, from the hands of the same.

Datus est consensus Hernastio Hnnro de Hermestorf exemendi oppidum Koszerzyn cum villis districtus Pomeraniae de manibus Martini Tessemer.
    -- Consent is given to Ernest Unrau of Hermesdorf taking the town of Koszerszyn with villages in the district of Pomerania from the hands of Martin Tesmer.

Datus est consensus Lucae episcopo Varmiensi exemendi bona Cristborg cum villis et aliis ad castrum Stumense pertinentibus de manibus Georgii de Bayssen, succamerarii Mariemburgensis, et Ioannis Rabe ac aliorum, item bona Ditrichsdorff et Macl districtus Stumensis de manibus Schpoth de Crayow, castellani Gedanensis.
    -- Consent is given to Lucas, Bishop of Warmia, taking the estate Cristborg with villages and all pertaining to castle-town of Stum from the hands of Georg von Baysen, chamberlain of Marienburg, and Johann Rabe and all others, the estates Ditrichsdorff and Macl in the district of Stum from the hands of Schpoth von Crayow, castellan of Danzig.

Rex, redimendo castrum Gnyew cum villis de manibus Michaelis Zelislawsky, capitanei et tenutarii eorundem bonorum, ei curiam Myedzylancz cum duabus villis Falknowy et Garcz, in terris Prussiae sitam, de manibus Georgii de Baysen, succamerarii Mariemburgensis, eliberandam, in 4000 fl. hung. in feudeum perpetuum dat.
    -- The King, the castle of Gniew with villages to be purchased from the hands of Michael Zelislawsky, Hauptmann and tenutario of the same estates, to that court of Miedzelancz with the two villages Falknau and Garcz, situated in the land of Prussia, to be freed from the hands of Georg von Baysen, chamberlain of Marienburg, fives in 4000 hung. fl. in perpetual fief.

Anyone happen to know these words?
    Lucas episcopus Warmiensis Barbarae filiae olim Cristinae, sororis suae, et liberis eius 5 budas aciales in circulo civitatis Torunensis in platea gallorum inter Stephani olei cussoris et eius portam sitas et ex divisione paterna ad se devolutas perpetuo donat.
    -- Lucas, Bishop of Warmia, bestows Barbara daughter of the late Cristina, sister of him, and children he 5 *budas* Stahl [steel] in the surroundings of the city of Torun in the street Gallorum between Stephan oil *cussoris* and that gate was allowed and from division of parents to him was transfered forever.

That's enough for now. Thanks everyone.
  2. Chamaeleo New Member

Re: Various hitches with late medieval Latin in Poland/Prussia

Word order is free in Latin, so phrases can go wherever you like!

Tenūtæ is presumably tentæ, although I do not know what it being ‘held’.

Yes, I imagine that contractum means he is party to a contract.

Piscatūræ is probably a noun referring to fishing, rather than a future participle.

Yes, consensus is probably being used to mean ‘permission’ here.

Exemendī looks like a variant of eximendī, but perhaps the meaning is simply emendī.

Platea is perhaps being used in its later sense of ‘square’.

That’s a lot of text, and I often wasn’t sure exactly what it was you weren’t sure about.
  3. dcostello New Member

Re: Various hitches with late medieval Latin in Poland/Prussia

I apologize if I wasn't more clear on my question. I think I was focusing on giving examples of the ones I had the most trouble with.

I'd like to know if I am connecting the bold words to the right objects/nouns.