Latin text in alchemical imagery translation help...

By danielronnstam, in 'Latin to English Translation', Apr 3, 2013.

1. Paul Ferguson New Member

Hi Daniel,

I'd wait for the other guys on the forum to supply some input.

'well-known expression' - I added this because it was well-known in his day but not so much in ours, but feel free to leave it out.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Oak Island mystery. Intriguing stuff. Best of luck with your research anyway,

Paul
  2. thank you.. and I didn't know the Mögling - Ben Jonson connection. Where can I find more on this ?
  3. Paul Ferguson New Member

4. Here is page 20, that is referred to in the upper image. It is German and Latin. Someone know both these languages ? It would be interesting to see if the text here explains something about the image ?... the text above the image say the image belongs to page 20..

page20.jpg
  5. No answer yet ? Did the interest go cold ? I would apprechiate help.. and I will of course credit anyone helping in my essay. I would be satisfied with having the Latin translated in the image above..
  6. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    No, it's just I'm not confident about my German, and there are other regulars on the site who would do much better.
  7. I tried Google translate as it is quite short Latin phrases. I got this from the top of the page: "By the person who gives, who gave it, who is going to give, the contemplation of the truth, the truth of contemplation. that the happiness saustumq becomes". I don't know if this is right.. but I can translate the German myself to an understandable degree, but the Latin I need help with. Thank you. You will all be credited in my paper.. of course.
  8. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
  9. Ok.. sorry sorry about posting machine translation, didn't know this. But I tell that it is google. I just need help was some small phrases, and though it could be a hint in the general direction.

Sorry
  10. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I haven't noticed that Google is good with short Latin phrases.

From him
    who gives
    who gave
    who will give
    the contemplation of truth
    the truth of contemplation
    A.A.A.
    which is favourable and auspicious
    But the latter really depends on what A.A.A. is
  11. THANK YOU !!!! Now there is only a short Latin sentance in the middle of the page.. then I can do the translation from german myself via another contact.
  12. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The Latin phrases seem to be syntactically embedded in the German... but anyway...
    Fratres Rhodo-stavroticae = Brothers of the cross of Rhodes (a bit of a guess)
    Fama = fame, infamy, reputation. Choose according to context.
    inter legendum utrumque illud vestrum scriptum, looks like 'while reading each of your written-things' or 'while reading that written thing of each of you' (depending on how I take 'utrumque')

The 'written thing' could be a book, a letter, who knows what.
  13. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Cinefactus, it's utrumque, not utrum.
  14. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Sorry, I realised as soon as I saw your post.
    I must indeed admit a) that while reading...
  15. Paul Ferguson New Member

I think 'Fama' is a reference to the Roscrucian text 'Fama Fraternitatis':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fama_Fraternitatis

Fratres Rhodo-stavroticae = Brothers of the Rose-croix, Brothers of the Rosy Cross, the Rosicrucian Brotherhood.

Regarding A.A.A., I will ask on another forum I belong to.

Daniel, you have mail at: info@oakislandproject.com

Paul
  16. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    (Oh good, glad to be corrected)
  17. Paul Ferguson New Member

18. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    Could you please tell us the title of the book you have taken these pages from? It would make interpretation of the arcane subject-matter rather more straightforward.
  19. Paul Ferguson New Member

20. Paul Ferguson New Member

Possibly 'aurum, argentum, aes', 'gold, silver, bronze', or 'aes, argentum, aurum', 'bronze, silver, gold', symbolising humankind's progression?