Let us hear and analyse each other's Latin pronunciation

By Godmy, in 'Pronunciation, Spelling and Listen to Latin', Jan 8, 2015.

1. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I thought I'd do Catullus as well.

I've failed to do the elision in ave atque. There are probably other problems, but I haven't analysed the whole very closely. This failure to elide was just immediately obvious.

Attached Files:

rothbard and Cinefactus like this.
  2. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Hm, ok, maybe tomorrow :p I'm already a bit more active on the forum than I'm used to daily... : )
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No hurry, anyway! I just happened now to be in the mood for one more recording, but there's nothing urgent about it getting some feedback. :D
  4. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    LOL. If you heard my Australian accent reading English, you would change your mind ;)

Thanks Godmy for all the work you put into this. I will try to curb my enthusiasm at 60 seconds in future!
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Lots of great tips in your last set of comments Godmy. Thanks again :)
    Godmy likes this.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Another thing: it seems I mis-stressed perpetuum (it sounds like PER-pe-tu-um to me, while it should be per-PE-tu-um).
    Yeah, it's difficult to keep everything in mind simultaneously.
  7. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I'll look at these later (+ I'll be checking later all the other threads ;) ). I just wanted to write that it's been exactly 1 year since I started to submit oral feedbacks here.

It really relieved me of a tremendous pressure/the high standard I'd set for myself of what I wanted the feedback to be so it served some constructive purpose (not just patting one our backs) and I've seen an improvement in many people here who would try again and again. Maybe the only drawback of the oral feedback is that I don't do any vowel-length measuring in an audio editor to prove some point, I don't do nearly as many relistenings of individual parts, but... usually it's not necessary anyway :D Back then one criticism could take me 30-40 minutes to make and it wasn't nearly as much fun. Also I usually submit my posts full of some mistakes that I edit hours later and ... one just knows that an audio recording cannot be really so easily edited, the imperfection is counted with : P

I submitted 11 recordings/videos since then, but it's true that the thread has been silent for the past few months until recently.
    Last edited by Godmy, Apr 29, 2017
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I have since learned that this pronunciation of "nuit" with a plain "w" sound is a peculiarity of Belgian French. So I do pronounce it that way, and I knew what I was doing, in that particular case anyway. :p

The Wiki article on Belgian French says:
    Godmy likes this.
  9. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Something a bit different ;) Trying to practice distributive numerals & multiplicatives by doing the 2x tables.
    I would be very interested in any comments regarding grammar / pronunciation or the like :)

Attached Files:

Godmy likes this.
  10. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    It's interesting, I'm not sure I can react to it, it's kind of partially singing... :) Maybe I would need a transcription time to time. I would try to work on that "r" probably... Sometimes unaspirate the initial stops, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the contribution!
    Last edited by Godmy, Jul 30, 2017
  11. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    What do you think would be a good passage to practise on? You have also mentioned problems with 't's and 'q's...
  12. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm... really no idea :) You can try some of the proposed text in the first post maybe, who knows. Maybe something which is not poetry and not too long... The problem is usually is some overaspiration, sometimes "r", one time Italian phonology (in terms of random accent and random long vowels in some words where short should be). etc. Usually just some details like this...