LIB V:XXV quorumque opera cognoverat

By Cinefactus, in 'De Bello Gallico', Jul 13, 2018 at 9:47 PM.

1. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Lucium Plancum cum legione ex Belgio celeriter in Carnutes proficisci iubet ibique hiemare quorumque opera cognoverat Tasgetium interfectum, hos comprehensos ad se mittere

I am not quite sure how the grammar works with cognoverat. Can anyone give me a clue?
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Apparently there's also the reading cognoverit, but many seem to go with -erat.

How would you translate that bit?
  3. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    cognoverit would make more sense, and I see it in a printed version. It would be nice if there was a cum
    and once he had discovered those by whose works Tasgentius was killed, to arrest them and to send them to him
  4. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Pretty much. Was the issue more the somewhat clunkiness (to us) of the relative?
  5. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    yes, but also the pluperfect seemed strange.
  6. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    One of those special cases.

"had learned" i.e., "knew"
  7. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    it still seems to be missing a si or a cum...
  8. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    "...and those by whose efforts he knew Tasgetius had been killed, to arrest and send these men to him."
  9. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    ah, I see, thanks :)