Liber IV Cap XXIX qui dies a maritimos aestus maximos

By Cinefactus, in 'De Bello Gallico', Jul 6, 2018.

1. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Eadem nocte accidit ut esset luna plena, qui dies a maritimos aestus maximos in Oceano efficere consuevit

I am really struggling to figure out what the a is doing in the sentence. Can anyone remove the log from my eye?
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    It shouldn't be there. Must be a typo.
  3. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Thanks Dantius. I have dug up an old printed copy. It looks as if when they did the OCR the section number (1) was interpreted as an a.
  4. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    You shouldn't read OCRs :)

If you can, read the versions off archive.org, the original scans (jpg PDFs). I read OCRs only when I read Latin on my mobile phone...

The only reliable digitized Latin texts are the texts by http://latin.packhum.org because they were transcribed & proofread by people who had that as their job :)
  5. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Also, in the original scans one can get to a proper critical version with apparatus criticus and such...