"Light and Darkness"

By Zeyh, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 19, 2017.

1. Zeyh New Member

I am looking for a translation of that exact sentence. It's for the title of a group I am making. I don't mind both feminine and masculine translations.

If possible, I am also looking for synonyms of "light" and "darkness" on their own.

Thanks for taking the time to read and thank you in advance.
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    lux et tenebrae.
  3. Ignis Umbra Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris
    Confirmed, and I think both lux and tenebrae cover a wide variety of meanings. For instance, in addition to simply "light" as a source of energy, lux can mean "light" in the form of understanding and reasoning. In a similar vain, tenebrae can mean "darkness" in the form of confusion and obscurity.

If these are the kinds of synonyms you're after, then lux et tenebrae should suffice.
  4. Mafalda Member

And what do you think of Lux tenebraeque?
  5. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    It works, but personally I don't like the sound of it as much.
  6. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Is there much of a difference? I quite like the sound of Mafalda's as it scans as the end of a hexameter line...

There's always lúx ac tenebrae... or lúx atque tenebrae... or lúx nec nón et tenebrae (...!)
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    That seems overdone as a translation for a simple "and".