Lingua Latina book 2 (Roma Aeterna)

By Dantius, in 'Latin Language Resources', Aug 17, 2016.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    For some reason I've noticed that Familia Romana (LLPSI Book 1) gets talked about a lot, but I can barely find anything about book 2 (Roma Aeterna).

To me, that book was exceedingly helpful in moving from practice textbook sentences to being able to tackle actual Roman authors, both in terms of developing vocabulary (earlier when I tried reading De Bello Gallico I had to look up so many of the words that it simply was not a fun experience) and some of the more advanced grammar subtleties that aren't covered in basic textbooks.

It was also good for just those little confusing things that you might find in a Latin text (things like "quod si" meaning "but if", or "passuum" being sometimes eliminated in "milia pasuum") and overall just a very good book. Having read it I was able to proceed through DBG with barely any need to consult a translation, a far cry from my initial, laborous attempts!

So if you are at that same state, I highly recommend it!
    :banana:
    Terry S. likes this.
  2. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    The book is indeed very nice and the language used cannot be described otherwise than as absolutely unrestrained classical Latin + it's all made pretty much from adaptations or direct quotations of the original Roman works. That's sometimes the problem though, that those who finish the first book can rarely continue to the other one, because they feel the gap is too large. But then there are some other books (even from Oerberg) to look at before you go to R.A. :)
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I found that having a background in grammar knowledge helped — I think that book could be used independently of the 1st book. Also Luigi Miraglia's Fabulae Syrae (from the same series) is helpful in that is plays around a bit more with word order and other things that can help prepare you. (Although there are a few typos / mistakes)
  4. Is there somewhere I could read about these mistakes?
  5. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I don't know that anyone has compiled list of them. I only noticed typos, mainly where a macron was either added or omitted. If I ever get around to re-reading Fabulae Syrae, I'll try to take a not of each as I come across them.