Tattoo Lord forgives my past mistakes and future sins.

By Boutros, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jul 4, 2019.

1. Salvete,

a female friend of mine has just asked me for the translation of this phrase for her tattoo. The problem is since ten years I haven't read or written any Latin, so I'm no longer able of such exercise. Can someone help me please? I know there is a similar phrase in Hebrews 8:12 that reads:

but it's not quite the same. If anyone knows whether this phrase can be found somewhere, I'd be glad to learn where.

Thank you!
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello,

"Lord forgives my past mistakes and future sins" doesn't sound quite right, so I'd like to make sure I understand the intended meaning correctly.

Do you mean "The Lord forgives my past mistakes...", i.e. a statement, or "Lord, forgive my past mistakes...", i.e. a request to the Lord?
  3. Hello,

Sorry, indeed, it should be "The Lord forgives my past mistakes and my future sins." A statement.
  4. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Dominus ignoscit mihi errata mea praeterita atque peccata posterna
    Boutros likes this.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    OK, then I would say:

Dominus meos praeteritos errores et peccata futura dimittit.
    Boutros likes this.
  6. Thank you Pacifica and Adrian for your translations, I like them both. What do you think of this formulation:

Dominus dimittit errata mea præterita atque ignoscit mihi peccata futura.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It's grammatically correct, but it's more wordy, using two synonyms for "forgives" rather than only one verb once like in the English.
    Boutros likes this.
  8. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Was wondering about introducing some poetic twist - for the sake of elegance (on example of Pacis' composition)

Dominus hesternos meos errores et crastina peccata dimittit - Lord forgives my yesterday's mistakes and tomorrow's sins.