Love [and happiness] is the essence of life

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Oct 23, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

i am gettin this tattooed on thursday and i still need to confirm the right translation for it becuase certain words ave changed....thank you.

love is the essence of life. everything happens for a reason and change as we change with it, but with god elping nothing should be feared for my strength comes from heaven.
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Re: text translated for my tattoo...

I would like you to have an answer, but

1. I assume that by "god elping" you mean "God helping".

2. I don't understand your "and change as we change with it" at all, and therefore can offer no sane translation of that part.

3. The remainder might perhaps be rendered as follows:

Amor susbstantia vitae est. Omnis proposito accidit...sed Deo adjuvante nihil timendum est, nam de caelo venit vis mea.

4. You should understand that almost every word of this could be discussed--even debated-- at some length. Substantia, proposito, venit and vis in particular might well be replaced by other words-- depending on exactly what you mean to say. The exact form of caelo ("heaven") which should be used here is also open to question; a case could be made for coelo, caelis or coelis.

5. Surely anything as permanent as a tattoo is worth a little more care and forethought?

6. And isn't this in any case a little long for a tattoo?
  3. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    This is OK. Maybe a little discussion will help you make a decision.

Instead of substantia, I might suggest summa - "total, chief point", or with a bit of a stretch fons - "fount, fountain, principle cause": ]Amor fons vitae est. - "Love is the fount of life" is not exactly what you're saying, but I wonder if it's closer to what you mean to say. Plus it's a pretty metaphor, and I'm all about pretty metaphors :)

Omnis proposito accidit- "everything happens for a reason" sounds a bit technical; I'd personally propose Omnis causam habet - (literally) "Everything has a cause", but either is correct IMO.

I'm with Iynx on "and change as we change with it"; not sure I can even guess, but if it is "and changes as (i.e. while, as far as) we change with it.", this i think would be et mutat quatenus eo mutamur. Still, I'm not at all sure about this, and would like to know more before endorsing this translation.

sed Deo adjuvante nihil timendum est, nam de caelo venit vis mea. - "but with God helping nothing should be feared, for my strength comes from heaven." I see no problem with this; I might consider the plural veniunt vires meae, but I don't really think that's necessary.

In summary, my take:

Amor fons vitae est. Omnis causam habet, et...sed Deo adjuvante nihil timendum est, nam de caelo venit vis mea.
  4. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Omnia causam habent is a more logical usage, although omnis would work.
  5. Wooltonian New Member

Love is the Essence of Life

Required for Wifes birthday present.
    ID bracelet Name on top, motto on back

Cannot make my mind up on translation and need help, I'd hate to ruin a good piece of jewelery.

Amor Substantia Vitae Est
    Amor Vitae Substantia
    Amor Essentia Vitae Est
    Amor Vitae Essentia
    Amor Summa Vitae Est
    Amor Vitae Summa
    Amor Est Vitae Essentia
    Amor Est Vitae Substantia

If I've totally lost the plot, can someone please offer correct translation.
    Very much Appreciated
  6. mokilok New Member

The essence of life is love [and happiness]

I am trying to translate this verse; The essence of life is love and happiness or Love and happiness is the essence of life. I have an idea of what the translation is but I just want to make sure it is correct. This is what I have: Vitae essentia sunt amor et beati; or amor gaudium sunt vitae essentia and Essentia vitae est amor et gaudium. Thank you in advance for your help. I would really like to use essentia and beati instead of gaudium, if possible, in the phrase.
  7. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Re: Translation of "The essence of life is love and happiness

beati = "[the] blessed [ones]."

Each of the beatitudes (Matthew 5:3 - 5:11 - "Blessed are..." begins with this word. Young's Literal Translation renders it as "happy.")

You could possibly use beatitas, or even beatitudo.

Why do you prefer beati to gaudium? Did you get it from an online translator?

Vitae essentia sunt amor et beati
    beati does not mean "happiness."

amor gaudium sunt vitae essentia

You need a word meaning "and" between amor and gaudium.
    amor et gaudium sunt vitae essentia.

Essentia vitae est amor et gaudium

This one is fine.
  8. Labienus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Don't get me wrong, scrabblehack, because beati would be one of my last choices for 'happiness' but, to be fair to the OP, my dictionary (Oxford Latin Dictionary) also cites 'happiness' as well as 'blessedness' as one of the foremost options.

So maybe we can let them off this time ;)
  9. scrabulista Consul

• Consul

Hmm..that is interesting.

I was reluctant to recommend beatitudo because it looks like "beatitude," but then it's similar to "pulchritude."

perseus.tufts.edu has
    beatum (genitive beati) (=beatitas, beatitudo) - "happiness, blessedness."

What does OLD have for beatus, -a, -um?
    Does it have anything for beati, -orum?
    Does it have a separate listing for beatum, -i?
  10. mokilok New Member

What is the difference between sunt and est is one better than the other for this particular phrase? How would you recommend writing it if, there is a better way (The essence of life is love and happiness)? Would this be correct and well written?; Essentia vitae sunt amor et gaudium.
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Essentia, being a singular subject, takes a singular verb (subject/verb agreement) est. (Essence is..., or is the essence). Clear?