M. Caecilius' letter to his friend Furianus

By laland, in 'Reading Latin', Jan 6, 2010.

1. laland New Member

please help me with this translation!

its practice for a test. but i cannot seem to make any sense out of it.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

M. Caecilius Furiano suo. Rogavisti, "Quid agit res publica?" Consules proximi anni creati sunt --Lepidus et Taurus. Ille Augusto carus est. Maiores eius erant Sulla et Pomppeius, Caesaris inimicus, sed Augustus tam concordiam cupit ut memoriam rerum eius modi deponere possit.
    Hic nuntius multo gravior erit: Corellius, tribunes, iam decem dies mortuus est/ Omnest amici eius spem habuerant aum aegrum paucis diebus diutis victurum esse, ut fratrem, ex Gallia properantem, videre posset; sed hoc non permissum est. Funus insigne eart -- oratio ante domun habita, pompa lpnga, cornicines, plurimae, imagines, rogus multos pedes altus (sed tot homines aderant ut difficile esset rogum videre), sepulchrum egregium.
  2. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Re: please help; i really need it

C'mon, give it a try at least!

I can tell you right off it's in the form of a letter written by M. Caecilius to his friend Furianus (dative). From the description, the Lepidus must be the consul of 11 AD, who did indeed count Pompey and Sulla among his Maiores (ancestors) on his mother's side. Aothough Pompey was an inimicus Caesaris (Augustus' adoptive father), he apparently didn't hold it against him.

The rest has quite a few typos, but it describes the mors and funus of Corellius; apparently his fratrem ex Gallia was properantem (participle from propero, but he couldn't get there in time, and the funus was insigne, including a rogus that was multos pedes altus (multos pedes is accusative of extent in space).
  3. laland New Member

i'm not cheating.
    i'm actaully trying to make sense of it all.
    i can translate english to latin, easy.
    but latin to english kills me. :[

and today in class, my teacher just got tired of my stupidity.
    so he didn't help much.
    and now i'm more lost then ever.
  4. Chamaeleo New Member

It’s hardly possible to find it easier to translate accurately into a foreign language than to translate into your own. I don’t believe you.

Just have a try at some of the above text.

If you are completely lost in your studies, you need to get a private tutor.
  5. laland New Member

so, caecilius has written a letter to furianus. And You asked "Because you have a public matter? proximi anni = nearest year? uhm, This Augustus is famous.
    ex Gallia properantem = hurry out of greece?
    videre posset = i am able to see?

thats all ive got, honest.
  6. laland New Member

inimicus = unfriendly, enemy
    cupit = desire
    gravior = heavy/serious
    altus = tall

and this.
  7. Chamaeleo New Member

The Rēs Pūblica is the Republic or State.

Think where Gallia is.
  8. laland New Member

its France right?
  9. Chamaeleo New Member

Yep.

‘Ille’ doesn’t mean ‘this’, and it doesn’t refer to ‘Augustō’. ‘Cārus’ doesn’t mean ‘famous’.